Looking for a Bridgeport (or Enco or other clone) Repair Guide - Parts Manual

I have a c. 1980's Bridgeport clone and it came with powerfeeds that are now dead (Harbor Freight, no longer offered). One only works in one direction and the other is fried completely. I found the parts manual for them online but no idea who made them originally. And as with most HF items, parts are not available. I want to restore the table feeds to manual but need the parts to do so, and for that I need the diagram and part numbers to order... Anyone have (1) and repair guide, (2) the parts manual, and/or (3) know where is the "best" economical place to purchase used Bridgeport parts? I'd appreciate any help! Thanks, Scott Sarasota, FL

Reply to
root

Do you have reason to believe that Bridgeport parts will fit a clone? They may look similar without actually being made the the same spec.

Or are you looking for parts for the HF clone?

Many HF machine tools were also marketed by Grizzly, Enco and others and these parts are more likely to fit than BP parts.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

all information is here

Ignoramus29328

All "Bridgeport power feeds", including Chinese, Taiwanese, American, and other units, are shit and junk and very unreliable.

Unless you "really need" one, I would recommend against buying or installing one.

Your right hand is more reliable than a "power feed".

Ignoramus29328

I would have to disagree about the Bridgeport power feed. Mine still works great and I have through the years used plenty of Bridgeport mills with the factory power feed and never had problems with them either. On the other hand, I have used many Servo brand power feeds and they all sucked. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I sold a lot of bridgeports -- maybe 15-20 or so -- and almost none of the power feeds ever worked. Including factory bridgeport feeds.

Ignoramus29328

Right, but most other equipment survived those factories and none of the power feeds did.

Ignoramus29328

I had a bunch of electronic trouble with Chinese Servo clone from HHIP that came with my Millrite MVI vertical mill. The problem was that the speed-control pot kept burning out. I replaced it with a very robust wirewound pot, and that soon burned out as well. HHIP supported me in my various attempts to fix the unit, but I never succeeded for long, and ultimately gave up. HHIP had had nothing but trouble from this product, and ultimately changed suppliers. (I do have an electronics background, but the circuit design was beyond redemption.)

So, I replaced the X-axis drive with Servo's low-cost line (built in Taiwan), and have had no problems since. Cost was about what a new HHPI unit would cost. (Some lathe work was needed to adapt the Bridgeport kit to fit the MVI.)

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I've had an Align brand power feed on my manual BP for about 15 years and no problems. I got fed up with manual winding and wanted a power feed and the Align turned up and would retrofit a manual feed BP as is, IIRC the standard BP had a different leadscrew for the power feed models. I only have power feed on the long axis but am happy with that as that is where most of the movement is. I don't use this 8 hours a day but it does get frequent use.

Reply to
David Billington