Lubrication Cocktails? Marvel Mystery Oil?

Awl--

Has anyone heard of/used Marvel Mystery Oil? Any opinions? Someone I knew would mix this, I think w/ way oil, for better "results"--whatever they were.

Marvel used to be mfr'd a stones throw from me (yonkers, NY), but was apparently bought out by the TurtleWax peeple. Seems sorta like Kroil, has a bit of a mint odor.

amazon has it for $16-17/gal (thru an auto parts store).

Has anyone made their own "lubricating cocktails"?? I'm thinking of making one from Marvel, Kroil, PBBlaster, WD40 (only to use up my stores), some graphite, Mobil Vactra, mebbe some RustLick rust inhibitor (if it's mineral-oil soluble--usually used w/ soluble oils), and spraying every goddamm square centimeter of metal in my shop. :) Opinions?

Oh, and mebbe spray the cats, iffin they don't stop pissing on all my stuff.... :)

-- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

A friend froze the engine on his Triumph motorcycle when the lubrication system failed. He squirted some marvel mystery oil down the spark plug holes, let it sit for a day, and then started it up. I would not have believed it if I didn't see it for myself. WD40 sucks. Liquid wrench is my penetrating oil of choice.

Reply to
tomcas

--FWIW Marvel's the only stuff I use to lube air tools..

Reply to
steamer

Well if you drive a Saturn, pulling the plugs and loading the cylinders for a mmo soak over night helps deal with high oil consumption from stuck rings.

I do this in connection with the engine oil change so the mmo that gets past rings is removed.

Just remember to put rags over spark plug holes to catch the MMO when you spin engine to clear it.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Marvel was the oil of choice of the pistol team gunsmith at MIT. I have some & use it occasionally when I want a light oil a bit more viscous than Rem Oil.

As for mixing oils, I suspect at some point you will stumble across two products that are incompatible. The worse case scenario is that it precipitates out something either gummy or abrasive. I wouldn't risk it. Oils are cheap.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Veritably clever. I used to run my moped on that stuff

Reply to
daniel peterman

A freind of mine added a half pint or so with every tankful of gas in his

180 hp Cessna Cardinal. When he pulled the jugs at 2500 hrs. the cylinders, rings and pistons showed virtually no wear. It's good stuff.

I'da believed it. I would also believe the pistons and cylinders are seriously scored. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

I use it too, in a tractor. Plus some Sea Foam or Stabil to keep the gas fresh in the tank. And a lead substitute, for the valves. In the winter, some Dry Gas to dissolve any condensing water.

Good thing it's not a two stroke, 'cause if I had to add oil too there might not be enough gas in the mix to run the damn thing!

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Just how much MMO do you put in?