Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

Threaded View

My main question is in the last paragraph.

Recently bought these ski poles as an addition for greater exercise
and for handling rough terrain on my 100mm wheel skates.

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/new_images/large/186.jpg

I was really impressed after putting a lot of weight on that and
seeing the bottom aluminum section bend way out of shape without
buckling or remaining even slightly bent.

I want to add springs, so I guessed and bought this stainless steel
spring from Mcmaster.com.

9663K34 Type 302 SS Cont Length Compression Spring 20" Length, .750"
OD, .091" Wire Diameter

Thanks for that store advice. They shipped very quickly for a good
price.

I have some ideas about how to secure the springs.

What, if anything, should I use to lubricate the telescoping
aluminum shafts? On hand, I have WD-40, silicon spray lubricant
(mainly for rubber/plastic), machine oil, and light grease. Wear
will probably occur at the opening of the larger section where the
smaller section enters.

Thank you.

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

WD-40 is *no* lubricant. It is junk that *can* be used to clean parts. It
comes in a nice can and they do have a good adverticing department.

Use PTFE (Teflon) lube.

Nick
--
***********************************
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***

Here we go again.  First off let me concede that WD40 may very well not be
as good a lubricant as other choices, however it does lubricate, (as does
plain water) therefore it is a lubricant.

It is basically a light oil in a solvent, when the solvent evaporates the
light oil remains.  It is a good choice where you need a little bit of lube
in places where you need capillary action to carry the lubricant to do its
job.

It has some very redeeming qualities.  First it is cheap.  Second it is in
almost everyone's house or shop.  Third it is not likely to do any damage to
any mechanism unless you are flushing out a grease like in a bearing.

Teflon, silicone, molly, graphite, etc all have applications where they are
superior, but good old WD40 is often the only lubricant some things ever
see, so I would suggest that it definitely has it's place.

--

Roger Shoaf

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

I think that says it all.
WD-40 -and whatever other name they have- all fail for long time
lubrication. They wash off any real oil/grease, lubricate for 10 minutes
then are evaporated and the part seizes and rusts.
Is that what is meant by "multipurpose"?

Nick
--
***********************************
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***

Mutipurpose because it has 2 uses- cleaner and flamethrower.

Its my favorite degreaser.

Dave

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

WD-40 is very good for disolving gummed up WD-40 deposits.

Wes

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

LOL! Another use for WD-40. :-))

Nick
--
***********************************
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***

I think telescoping aluminum shafts are a bad idea, and that you want
one of them to be a harder and different material.  Two moving parts
of the same material and hardness may gall themselves together,
regardless of the lubricant used.  You should experiment, though.

John Martin

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

Smear a bit of silver anti-sieze on the moving parts.

--

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

Exception to this general rule is iron on iron, such as piston rings and
cylinder sleeves. All else is a no-no I'm told.

Jordan

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

Even that is not as simple as it sounds. In the case of piston rings and
cylinders, for instance, the Rings are normally much harder than the cylinder.
That is the important point. For good sliding bearings, one normally runs soft
and hard materials together. Materials that have similar properties don't
usually make good bearings.

Extruded aluminium doesn't tend to make very good bearings against anything
:-(

Mark Rand
RTFM

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

      Cast iron rings are about the same hardness as cast iron
cylinders, but cast has little or no galling tendencies. It glazes
very well. An exception might be the really hard cast iron used in
older Mopar engines, or the cast steel cylinders I encountered on some
English compressors. Hard stuff to machine.
       Aluminum on aluminum is a bad one. It might work for a little
while if Never-Seize or Copper-Coat were used on it.

       Dan

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1145&title=TEFLON%2fMOLY+OVEN+CURE%2c+GUN+FINISH

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

Telescoping aluminum sections are likely to wear rapidly, no matter
what lube you use.  You can try the Syntec synthetic lube gel with
Teflon that True Value sells, but I'd redesign it so the telescoping
part ran in some kind of bearing like Delrin.  Aluminum against
aluminum is going to fret, no matter what you put on it.  You're going
to have black greasy gunk coming out whatever you use.

Stan

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

I really appreciate the discussion.
I will use some suggested lubricant now, and probably
provide a bearing in a later design or rebuilding. The stainless
steel spring must be attached to both halves of the telescoping
aluminum, so the spring will be slightly unwound where it meets the
wooden block and tacked together, then the wooden block will be
trimmed with a burr. The bottom end of the spring is experimentally
attached simply with a stainless steel hose clamp. I posted some
pictures of the current progress (about 7 MB). Thanks again.

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.pictures
Subject: spring-loaded rollerski poles 01

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?
There is a product called "Aluma Lube", sold in better Hardware stores, and
designed to lubricate sliding aluminum door tracks without building up lots
of imbedded dirt. It also works well to lubricate my motor home awning
supports.

Re: Lubrication for aluminum against aluminum?

and
lots

Of course your Aluminum door and awning are anodized putting a very hard
skin on them.

--

Roger Shoaf

Site Timeline