machining Garolite

Threaded View
    For those who have worked with it, what are the best ways to go about
machining Garolite?  I've got carbide mills coming, but was wondering if
speeds should be as high as I suspect, and what's a good coolant that won't
contaminate the material? (it's going to be glued up in some places and will
be in high vacuum, so nothing that can outgas significantly.)
    I was planning on using clean shop air for coolant and dust removal (PPE
covered) as I want to minimize contamination of the part, but all thoughts
are welcome.

Re: machining Garolite
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:35:03 GMT, "Carl McIver"

it cuts with standard woodworking tools so the faster rms's the
better. so air is fine for cooling. it holds up to heat well I use it
behind sanding belts wears like steel.

Re: machining Garolite
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:35:03 GMT, "Carl McIver"

Garolite is a tradename that covers a wide range of plastic
composites, with various reinforcements and binders. Some are easy to
machine, some are pretty nasty.

http://k-mac-plastics.net/data%20sheets/phenolics-technical-data.htm

--
Ned Simmons

Re: machining Garolite

    I picked Garolite XX or LE for the job.  Can't recall right now.  I
don't need the strength of stouter materials, I just needed something easy
for this amateur to work with and that could tolerate the environment it was
in (and better match the thermal characteristics of the G-10 it's going to
be epoxied to.)

Site Timeline