Machinist project demonstration ideas needed for threshing shows

I can't find them either; I want one too!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hmmmm, a product with a market and no manufacturer? What do you think it's worth retail?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Exactly, The trick is communicating the operation and the tolerances.

1/20th of a human hair does mean more than what we call a "tenth".
Reply to
Tom Gardner

Thanks to all of you for the inputs.

I guess we still have some thinking to do about lathe projects. The whistle sounds good.

We did get our 9" south bend lathe set up and running. We got the 12" Cincinnati Shaper Company mechanical shaper pulled out of the corner of the machine shop area and went through piles of parts to see what went with it. A couple of hours of pushing, prying and oiling later we got all the functions operating, but there's still a ways to go before we get the line shaft powered up and the shaper belted to it. We are thinking about 40 strokes per minute should be plenty fast for a simple demo. Hoping to get it cut some nice large chips in mild steel. Plan to use plenty of oil on the work so we get plenty of smoke, too.

Wish we had a screw machine.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------

Reply to
Pete S

Bravo!

Now look in the yellow pages and call every shop that says Swiss Screw Machine and tell em you are looking for an old, functional swiss mechanical machine..and tell them why. Ill bet someone gives you one out of a back corner somewhere.

Call machinery dealers and tell them the same thing and ask for a donated machine (they can put their business card on it somewhere)

Ask both groups of people...shops and dealers...do they have anything really visually neat! that can be powered up and displayed to show how machining Used to be done, either as a loan or a donation. Mention you are trying to get people to understand what machining is..and how important to America it used to be..and needs to be again..yada yada...and you will likely be up to your ass in donated machines and people to help move it around and set it up.

Seriously.

Gunner

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You will see why I posted both links when you read the first one.

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I found this rather fascinating

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Cool. I watched some more of the fireworks-making flicks after that.

The best one so far? A 36" shell called The Big One.

I wonder if Lloyd would share some of his creations' explosions with us.

Reply to
Larry Jaques