Making lathe milling attachment on a mill

I would really like to make a milling attachment for my lathe, using my mill. I am in search of tips and pointers. I am going to check if HF sells milling bits etc. I will try to do something this weekend.

Ignoramus32621

HF does not carry milling bits. And, if they did, I doubt they'd be very good (my rule, as a long and loyal HF customer is, never buy anything with an edge on it; it won't have one for long...). MSC sells good quality bits at good prices with fairly fast delivery.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Am I missing something here?

Or are you just looking for a doodle project?

In which case, I'd look at the Gingery series, basically take a slab of CRS, bolt it to a flat plane, square (more or less) to the other slides, mount a carriage and leadscrew on it with table for the work and you're done.

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

..or an electrical plug ;)

it won't have one for long...).

Reply to
Rex B

Every HF store I've been in carries sets of common end-milling cutters. Many are TiN plated (big deal ... NOT!). But I agree that their quality is highly suspect at best.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

He wants to get rid of his new minty Clausing mill. So he has to make a flimsy and flexible, not particularly good for much. milling attachment to replace it.

:/

Gunner

Gunner

I've been taking a machine shop class this semester and I got to do learning on both a real mill and a milling attachment on a lathe. The attachment was absolutely infuriating--the worst part about it was that I couldn't lock the carriage so sometimes while cutting it would push (or worse, pull!) the piece, carriage, milling setup. Wound up giving up on the thing once it shifted, snapped off a mill and did all it could to lodge it into my forehead. POINTER: If you go through with this, make sure to also rig up some sort of locking system. Or shields. And get a ton of practice on your mill while you have it so you know what's going wrong when your attachment starts misbehaving. TIP: Might spend time building a shed to house the mill instead of making a substitute. Probably cost you less, work better, and be safer in the long run.

Reply to
B.B.

That's my guess, or he wants to sell the mill later maybe? Nothing wrong with doodle projects though. You know, "I'm building a tool holder to hold the tools that I need to make a tool holder with" kind of things.

Reply to
Dave Hinz