Making lathe milling attachment on a mill

Threaded View

I would really like to make a milling attachment for my lathe, using
my mill. I am in search of tips and pointers. I am going to check if
HF sells milling bits etc. I will try to do something this weekend.

Re: Making lathe milling attachment on a mill
HF does not carry milling bits.  And, if they did, I doubt they'd be very
good (my rule, as a long and loyal HF customer is, never buy anything with
an edge on it; it won't have one for long...).  MSC sells good quality bits
at good prices with fairly fast delivery.

Jerry

Re: Making lathe milling attachment on a mill

..or an electrical plug ;)

  it won't have one for long...).

Re: Making lathe milling attachment on a mill

Every HF store I've been in carries sets of common end-milling cutters.
Many are TiN plated (big deal ... NOT!). But I agree that their quality
is highly suspect at best.

Dan Mitchell
============

Re: Making lathe milling attachment on a mill

Am I missing something here?

Or are you just looking for a doodle project?

In which case, I'd look at the Gingery series, basically take a slab of CRS,
bolt it to a flat plane, square (more or less) to the other slides, mount a
carriage and leadscrew on it with table for the work and you're done.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Re: Making lathe milling attachment on a mill
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:16:16 -0500, "Tim Williams"

He wants to get rid of his new minty Clausing mill. So he has to make
a flimsy and flexible, not particularly good for much. milling
attachment to replace it.

:/

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
 has made a huge tactical error"

Re: Making lathe milling attachment on a mill

That's my guess, or he wants to sell the mill later maybe?  Nothing wrong
with doodle projects though.  You know, "I'm building a tool holder to hold
the tools that I need to make a tool holder with" kind of things.

Re: Making lathe milling attachment on a mill

   I've been taking a machine shop class this semester and I got to do
learning on both a real mill and a milling attachment on a lathe.  The
attachment was absolutely infuriating--the worst part about it was that
I couldn't lock the carriage so sometimes while cutting it would push
(or worse, pull!) the piece, carriage, milling setup.  Wound up giving
up on the thing once it shifted, snapped off a mill and did all it could
to lodge it into my forehead.
   POINTER: If you go through with this, make sure to also rig up some
sort of locking system.  Or shields.  And get a ton of practice on your
mill while you have it so you know what's going wrong when your
attachment starts misbehaving.
   TIP: Might spend time building a shed to house the mill instead of
making a substitute.  Probably cost you less, work better, and be safer
in the long run.

--
B.B.           --I am not a goat!       thegoat4 at airmail dot net
                                        http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4 /

Site Timeline