Making lathe milling attachment on a mill

I would really like to make a milling attachment for my lathe, using my mill. I am in search of tips and pointers. I am going to check if HF sells milling bits etc. I will try to do something this weekend.

HF does not carry milling bits. And, if they did, I doubt they'd be very good (my rule, as a long and loyal HF customer is, never buy anything with an edge on it; it won't have one for long...). MSC sells good quality bits at good prices with fairly fast delivery.

Jerry

Jerry Foster wrote:

..or an electrical plug ;)

it won't have one for long...).

Jerry Foster wrote:

Every HF store I've been in carries sets of common end-milling cutters. Many are TiN plated (big deal ... NOT!). But I agree that their quality is highly suspect at best.

Dan Mitchell ===========

Am I missing something here?

Or are you just looking for a doodle project?

In which case, I'd look at the Gingery series, basically take a slab of CRS, bolt it to a flat plane, square (more or less) to the other slides, mount a carriage and leadscrew on it with table for the work and you're done.

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:16:16 -0500, "Tim Williams"

He wants to get rid of his new minty Clausing mill. So he has to make a flimsy and flexible, not particularly good for much. milling attachment to replace it.

:/

Gunner

That's my guess, or he wants to sell the mill later maybe? Nothing wrong with doodle projects though. You know, "I'm building a tool holder to hold the tools that I need to make a tool holder with" kind of things.

I've been taking a machine shop class this semester and I got to do learning on both a real mill and a milling attachment on a lathe. The attachment was absolutely infuriating--the worst part about it was that I couldn't lock the carriage so sometimes while cutting it would push (or worse, pull!) the piece, carriage, milling setup. Wound up giving up on the thing once it shifted, snapped off a mill and did all it could to lodge it into my forehead. POINTER: If you go through with this, make sure to also rig up some sort of locking system. Or shields. And get a ton of practice on your mill while you have it so you know what's going wrong when your attachment starts misbehaving. TIP: Might spend time building a shed to house the mill instead of making a substitute. Probably cost you less, work better, and be safer in the long run.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4 /