McGyver resource: The Circular File

I get an error on that: (".csv" is not a recommended image file format.)

For wiki file upload

That might turn the File into an inventory. That would not be good, IMNSHO.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston
[ ... ]

O.K. If you want another suggestion for recycling parts, consider the caps from jug-filled water coolers in offices and such. They slip over the neck of the bottle and then their skirt is heat-shrunk to grip the bottle neck, and to open it you tear along a pre-made weak line from a tab. Normally, the cap just goes in a nearby trash can when it is removed. I started collecting them back before I retired. Cut off the remains of the skirts, and you have a collection of small-parts trays (screws, etc) to use when disassembling something. I've got red, green, and blue ones to keep parts from different sub-assemblies separated. Two of them stay in the carrying case for my Milwaukee power screwdriver (the small style used to be AEG, now Milwaukee and Panasonic based on MSC catalog entries. I would have three different colors there if there were room.

Time to work on the project of duplicating the Enterprise's transporter. :-)

O.K.

O.K.

Certainly for national or world-wide use -- but for a local metalworking club were things get shared around it could be a different matter. Ours covers Northern VA, DC, and Southern MD, and there are often posts of "Does anyone have X -- preferably in Northern VA?" on the mailing list.

:-)

That is determined by the area from which it was a remnant.

O.K. The house was expanded by a contractor some years ago (near fifteen now, I think), and I kept the scrap left over from putting aluminum siding over the existing house and the new part. Most of it comes pre-crimped to look like clapboard, but there are pieces used for covering the trim. I think that my widest piece is 12 or 18" wide. And I think that it originally comes in long rolls. So the source would be a construction site. It might even be what is rolled to form gutters by the machine towed behind a truck on a trailer.

O.K. The white version would take a nice set of Kroy labels for the controls. If you use thick aluminum you can engrave labels in it, but if you simply want something to cover extra holes in the panel, this would be great.

[ ... ]

I don't have one of those -- yet. :-)

And the use above for water cooler bottle caps.

O.K. I've got two Fluke DMMs -- one is the 27, and that lives in a carrying case with the probes, extra leads, and the clamp-on ammeter head. The other is the 37 (same functions) but it is designed for bench use and has a storage compartment for the leads and other accessories (including the temperature probe head, which used to live in the other case.)

:-)

O.K.

BTW I also save the wax off Gouda cheese, melt and save it, and use it for protective dip for cutting tools at need.

That would hit problems here -- the incoming copies in e-mail would quickly grow over the size of my incoming e-mail limit -- to keep viruses out of small mailing lists hosted on my systems. It is already up to 10,877 bytes, and my limit is 30k -- so we are a third of the way there. But either an FTP site or a web page could serve.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Those are NOT the correct decimal equivalents of the fractions. I gave them to point out that welding rod is not drawn to exact controlled diameter. List it by it's nominal fractional size, or just remember the welding store as a source.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I understood that TIG rod isn't made out of "pin gauge" stock. :) I think everyone 'gets' that.

It's more accurate to indicate that a particular piece of TIG filler was ~ 0.003,3" smaller than nominal than to imply that it was within

+- 0.000,01" , yes?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Excellent! O.D.? I.D.? Thickness at the middle of the crown? Is that HDPE? Generic 'plastic'?

A.D. 2015: "Engineer DoN. Nichols demonstrated the first reliable Matter - Energy - Matter Codec this afternoon. Attendees celebrated as Mr. Nichols announced the end of the fifty - cent hex nut."

(...)

We have a small price / performance issue here. Who arbitrates disagreements about: * quality * quantity * description accuracy * finish * availability * condition * location * delivery date * yada yada yada?

To quote a great philosopher: "It ain't me, babe." :)

Feel free to start a Geek 'Tradio'. I agree that it would be very useful.

It is much too big a 'Mission Creep' for me.

Thank you!

(...)

You *are* good!

(...)

We are in violent agreement.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You keep asking these questions (or at least I see them) when I am upstairs at my computer -- not downstairs with the shop. And I had a major schlump blocking access to the shop door earlier, when I pulled out a metal suitcase full of crimping tools. I just had to dig that out sooner than I had planned, to get my digital calipers.

OD: 2.258" ID: 1.997" (at bottom of lip, which is like a pair of "( )" separated by about 2".)

THICKNESS: 0.102" (at center where there is a plastic pimple 0.063" (closer to the rim).

HDPE? Who knows? It is a flexible plastic, even fifteen years after collection. It has heat-shrink capability to shrink the skirt against the neck of the original bottle.

Only visible marking is UL12 (for the blue one in my hand at the moment.)

I've also nipped a hole in the rim of one, and used it as protection over the positive terminal of a large strorage battery in a UPS whose metal lid was too close to the terminals.

[ ... ]

it is adequate for his purposes. (Most often it is whether it is large enough and the right material for the project.

One example was someone looking for an old water heater to make a digester for bio-diesel, and I had just replaced one, and wanted a home for it. he came by and we got it out of the cellar and up the steps to the ground level together. He knew that it leaked, and it was still what he needed.

may be carried to the monthly meetings (I'll be at one tomorrow night, and may not have time to answer).

drives to the home of the person offering it. (I did this quite recently for a foot of railroad rail, to make a small anvil.)

good will. (Typically, this starts with a post to the club's (e-)mailing list saying "Does anyone have 'X' at least Y x Z in size, and someone else says "no -- but can you use Q?" and another says -- "Yes -- but I'll need help to dig it out."

This is just a possible use for your tool -- to help people tell whether they *do* have what is needed -- and can spare it.

It already exists.

O.K. It is just a way that people might use what you have started.

[ ... ]

That nice red wax is not something to waste. :-)

O.K.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks, DoN. It's in the File.

(...)

That is terrific!

(...)

It's in the File! I wonder if anyone has made candles using that stuff?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I saved a lot of those but never found a good use for them.

The urethane wax in a toilet bowl ring is more flexible than paraffin wax.

In the (cheap) kitchen department there are cutting boards for thick plastic, strainers with stainless steel screening, and SS pots and pans. $1 pots made good front hub dust shields for my old truck;

Grade 5 and 8 bolts can be turned and threaded with HSS on a lathe and can save a lot of rough turning when you need a large-head on a smaller shank, for instance to make a saw arbor or milling cutter holder.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 21:55:23 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Column A, with its 11.75" width, is a bit wide for my tastes, TYVM. ;)

I'm curious about the whipped cream can. What are your thoughts on it? Are you saving a source of nitrous oxide for someone, or?!?

-- At current market valuations (GM is worth less than Mattel) the Chinese government can afford to buy GM with petty cash. --Bertel Shmitt on kencan7 blogspot

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques graciously gifted us with:

(...)

I might have forgotten to mention this but: >> 4) Adjust column width to suit.

(You are welcome.)

Nah silly. Use your imagination!

1) Rivet fins on, sand, prime and paint; it's a Rocket Ship. 2) Snip it; it's a source of thin shields for the UHF section of your down - converter project, or as laminate for that custom transformer you always wanted to build. 3) Install RC receiver, batteries, motor; drive your cat crazy! 4) Cut out the front and back. Replace the front with a translucent plastic copy of the original product artwork, add LEDs; make suggestive yet tasteful (g) lighting sconces for your boudoir. 5) Modify and slide it into a decapitated 16 oz H2O2 bottle; add lenses and make a spyglass. 6) Snip off the top and grind the raw metal back to the seam. Sand, prime and seal to make a nifty brush cup. 7) Cut a square in the side near the bottom to accommodate a Peltier cell and heat sinks to keep your 500 mL water bottle chilly. 8) Snip off the top and bottom of two cans and TIG them end - to - end. Invert one bottom and TIG it back on to the body of the can to make a spherical reflector. Amaze your friends with the gain of your new cantenna.

Hey, you asked for my thoughts. This is the best I can do until they show up.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:14:58 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

No, I quoted it with my reply, didn't I? ;)

DANGER, Will Robinson! Can is pressurized!

Yeah, that's extremely good TIG practice.

Creamy goodness for your WiFi connection? Hmm... Izzat anything like a Pringles Yagi?

Wull, that 'splains that. Carry on! (Carrion?)

-- At current market valuations (GM is worth less than Mattel) the Chinese government can afford to buy GM with petty cash. --Bertel Shmitt on kencan7 blogspot

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Yup. That you did.

That's what 1/16" drill bits are for. They tend to equilibrate differentials. I doubt the emptied can has much in the way of pressure, by definition.

(...)

Heck, the seam at that point is ~0.064" thick. Hardly a 'razorblade' trick.

Sorta Kinda. I see that it wouldn't necessarily work for 2.4 GHz due to it's small diameter. Be OK for 5 GHz though. Hmmm.

There's a joke in there somewhere....

--Winston

Reply to
Winston