Mechanical Aptitude Test

[ ... ]

But switches can make logic arrays. In particular with relay logic. An example on a CNC machine could be a series of switches (axis limit switches) in series, with a parallel set of contacts on a manual override switch (which would also limit axis speeds to a minimum to allow you to move the axis with problems away from the limit switch.

And for normal automotive applications, there are multiple door switches in parallel to control the dome light -- and those are in series with a master switch which often has three positions:

1) Dome light *always* off.

2) Dome light switched by door switches. Any single door, or any combination of doors open turns on the light, otherwise it is off.

3) Dome light *always* on.

So -- they can reasonably be referred to as being in series-parallel combinations.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Ed Huntress :

[ ... ]

IIRC, this description was used by the lady who hosted the early "Junkyard Wars" TV program from the UK. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 21 Oct 2007 01:36:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

She was a _definite_ hotty and the show was a lot of fun early on.

-- History is often stranger than fiction. Fiction has to be plausible. History is what happens when people don't follow the script. --pete flip, RCM

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Until the US network directors got involved. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

"cavelamb himself" wrote snip

Drove to Vegas today, and did a turnaround. Only there a couple of hours. I will be going back Thursday, and will do my best to get to Curtis and get that SS. Will let you know this Friday how it went.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 01:52:44 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

I gave up TV about 6 months ago and recently tried to watch broadcast TV stations a few times. I wanted to see if they'd killed HEROES and the new Bionic Woman. They did, but it really hurt to have to kill the sound for 20 minutes out of each hour just to be rid of those nastyass commercials which blared out at me. I hadn't realized how bad it had become. (I used to watch The History Channel, The Movie Channel, and SciFi, each with fewer interruptions than broadcast TV.) It reaffirmed my committment to telling U.S. TV broadcasters to frack off. Ick! I'm cured.

P.S: I believe the lady's name was Cathy Rogers, but I can't find a single picture of her on the Internet. What's up with THAT?

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Did you get my email?

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

But nowadays the dome light is probably controlled by the output of some damn computer and you'd have to be a digital Houdini to figure it all out.

The dome lights in our two "21st century" cars slooooooowly dim down to off under certain conditions of the doors, ignition, ambient lighting and G-d only knows what else. I haven't bothered to study that enough to understand it. That slow dimming to off suggest to me what dying might feel like someday.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Lim time....

I say, "Phooey" to little Miss Grace, Who will not let my c*ck in her 'place'. But though she'll not f*ck it, She'll squeeze it and suck it, And let it pop off in her face.

(I got four out of four....)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

:-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Go a Google search and look at the pictures not the web. Cathy Rogers Several pictures...

It was her first job -

Mart> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 01:52:44 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:03:41 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

Please point out the picture, Gerry. I still couldn't find one larger than 45 pixels.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sorry about that. That's what happens when I'm reading the group postings with one eye and watching the ball game with the other. They must have made a great effort to avoid supplying raw material for computer enhancement. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

The questions are pretty standard mechanical aptitudes test questions I've seen all of them, in one form or another, in nearly every test I've taken since I joined the Air force back in '52.

I was once an instructor teaching the sons of Indonesian rice farmers (Peasants) how to be mechanics. The Chief Instructor got the bright idea of administering a similar test to the students. They failed every question - never seen a gear, never owned a bicycle, lived a totally non-mechanical existence. Environment has a large effect on the results of "aptitude tests". they should probably be termed "experience tests".

Bruce-in-Bangkok (Note:displayed e-mail address is a spam trap)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

I scored 420.

I actually had schooling on all of these questions in high school (physics).

Ignoramus705

LOL... I corrected my answer on that one before I "sent" it. I had to visualize a screw going into a threaded hole and the force it would generate if it were self-tapping... Then translate that to what it would do to the other part...

I never took physics... Except for a 15 minute "thing" last night on DVD canned "Standard Dievients" which was REALLY annoying.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Don't feel bad - I got the darn worm gear wrong too. Scored 470. Fan turningsame direction or opposite? ambigous question, in a way. fan 1 clockwize. fan 2 clockwise from which end??? And the darn balloon. Ambiguous question. Didn't say it was the SAME gas in each balloon, but when you see their answer you know what the question was. The 3 balloons are not side by side. They are the SAME balloon in different atmospheric conditions.

All in all the questions were a bit poorly worded.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I got an 838. What do I win?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

BIG SNIP

Hey Clare,

Too true!! But it was fun.

I really did want to pick the one where a weight was being held up "by hand" versus pulled over a sheave from one of two angles. ( I think that it was question # 15 .) With no proviso in the wording that the sheaves had zero friction, the answer I gave should have been wrong, as I picked the answer that all three were the same force. But I "guessed" at what the point being made was, realizing it was only rhetorical after noticing that it was kind of a limp-wristed grasp of a line by just one "hand" that was holding up that 150 pounds. At least nobody I know!

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

SNIP

A visit to the optometrist for good corrective lenses?

Reply to
Brian Lawson