Metal Pole for Eagle Scout Project

Hello Everybody!

I am working on my Eagle Scout project for the Boy Scouts of America and I am looking for a metal pole. I am going to set up a civil defense siren in northern Arizona. They are currently experiencing droughts and forest fires every summer. This is for a small rural community that is in danger of fire. This would allow for a rapid evacuation should one be necessary. We have the siren donated, and most of the other materials we will need. We are currently looking for a metal pole now, and I wondered if anyone had a surplus metal pole, knew of where I could find a surplus or used metal pole, or someone who might have information in general about metal poles of this caliber, useful information that I can use in my search.

The siren weighs 2,700lbs. The metal pole needs to be able to withstand that much weight. The siren will rotate causing a vibration motion. The minimum height the pole needs to be is 6 feet per government regulations, however the taller the pole is the farther the sound carries, thus allowing it to do a better job!

Thank you for your help! Jkeagle13 (at) aol (dot) com

Reply to
jkeagle13

Why does it have to be metal, the siren in my town sits atop a telephone pole?>>

Just a thought, I would think that a telephone pole would more readily available.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher 1

I take it that you figured out the 3 phase issues for this project?

Reply to
jw

Have you done the proper required spotted owl impact study for this project yet?

The feds are going to ask you.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Hi All,

Yes JW, I want to thank everyone for their help again. We reached an agreement with APS. We already had a pole for the siren at the fire house that wasn't being used, so that was perfect, but it was estimated to cost $15,000 to bring 3 phase out to it. So we compromised and agreed with APS to bring the siren closer to the three phase power that existed at a well, and move it away from the fire station to the location of the well, and they agreed upon those terms to donate the rest should we do that. So before a pole wasn't an issue, but now it is. I suspect it will be easier than finding the three phase power.

Thanks again everyone for your help on that issue and your help on this one!

Jkeagle13 (at) aol (dot) com

Reply to
jkeagle13

By the way the city told us it had to be metal, not wood. They said wood is too dangerous for a 2,700lbs siren that rotates. They said it had been done in the past before, and had worked, but it was just one of those things where they said that we have to use metal to get city approval. They said wood splinters, and has been known to fail before. So a wooden pole would be simple, I agree, but it is just regulations we must follow.

Reply to
jkeagle13

If you consider making a concrete pyramid that is 10' tall that then has a short pole as needed for mounting... A central core or external (less security) pipe would be used for the power - plan ahead on the size and design naturally.

I'm getting to the point that a pole 20' tall might be hard to come by - but a hill or other building / structure that is 20' can provide the height.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The first place I would go would be the local telephone and electrical utility companies. They would have poles and might be able to make suggestions for the application. I suspect that power engineers routinely construct supports for transformers and switchgear that heavy.

Are you quite sure about the 2700 lbs btw?

I would also suggest that the city may be somewhat thoughtless if they simply say "it has to be metal."

Unless the correct engineering is done, a metal support is just as likely to fail as a wood one. And the correct engineering could be done for a wood structure as easily as a metal one.

One point you also need to consider is that you will have to hire riggers with a crane to place this article on the top of the support structure.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Old irrigation pipe.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

Kidding. He thinks he's kidding.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

I think there is some oil production in Arizona, You might try one of the oil companies to see if you could scrounge a bit of surface casing pipe. I think its about 13 5/8 inches dia.They usually have to cut off some to suit the depth of the surface hole so you might be able to convinve them that it would be a good bit of local public relations. They could even puyt a plack on it saying that they had sponsored it.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

Rather than a pole..Id suggest a tripod.

Gunner

Gunner

Others have made good suggestions (water and oil drilling companies). You might try the utility (APS). I am sure they use metal poles in some of their construction. Ask the right person, and you might get one donated.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Absolutely. 2700 lbs is about a nissan sentra, right?

That's a piece of hardware floating in the sky.

Even if he cannot manage to find somebody to install the poles at an angle to make a tetrahedron, three of them with crossbars and braces would be a lot better than just one support.

Basically a super-huge version of a three-sided antenna mast, with the braces on the side to make each side into a truss.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

How about a 6" square 40' tall light pole (steel)? $100....you haul!

Mike Tucson, Az.

Reply to
mike

skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Steel reinforced concrete block.. Can be "assembled" on site.. Just need to get a crane to the site to lift the siren up there..

Btw.. 2700 lbs sounds like a HUGE siren..

/peter

I believe it was in Oregon or Washington, there was a big flap about cutting down trees and endangering the spotted owl nesting sites. Then they found some nested in an abandoned K Mart sign.

Be sure to put some screening on it so they can't nest in there. Or some low flying spotted crested Dolly Parton titmouse can't fly in there and hurt themselves.

Ouch!

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

A Chrysler Victory Siren

is around 5000 lbs (including the hemi engine powering it). 2700 lbs is by no means puny! Not something you put on a "pole"...

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

My 2 door soft top geo tracker is 2600#. That must be a big honker! Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

I have an old city light pole in my back yard you can have. However I'm a far distance from you as I live in Washington state.

Lane

Reply to
Lane