metalworking projects online?

Hi all. I'm looking for projects to make in the shop at school and I've found a couple of things in Home Shop Machinist, but I haven't been able to find a lot online. I've found quite a bit of tooling, so what I'm asking help in finding is other projects. For example, I found a little church in HSM that I'm planning on making. I guess I want a couple of similar projects so I can give them to my folks to show off. :) Projects involving mainly the mill and/or lathe would be best. We don't do any sheet metal work in the shop. We use AutoCAD in school, so links to 2D Cad files work for me, but I'm not limiting myself to downloadable cad drawings (not much luck finding them either). Thanks in advance. Email address works if you take out the trash, but I read this newsgroup regularly anyway, so I'll get any replies posted here.

chem

Reply to
chem

There are plans available for the Fizgig Stirling Cycle engine if you have the time available.

Plans for other projects are thin on the ground, but there are lots of ideas out there if you can narrow down your needs to a specific type of tool or toy. If you are capable of making it from plans, you can probably work out how to make most things once you see a picture.

These links came from a Google search for wobbler steam engine plans . If you search for about anything with the word plans or drawings, you will probably find more than you think might be around.

Have Fun!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Please send me info. My email addy is valid

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house." With appologies to RAH..

Reply to
Gunner

Have a look at the links on

There is a section on metal projects. I use one of these to make a small steam engine from 1/2" sq. brass and stock size bar. Can be made from perspex on CNC machines. Good exercise. There is advanced stuff too, one of the links points to castings for working model lathes etc. If you have others I'll add them if you give me details. Check out the "safety sign builder", and for your junior kids there's an on line CAD program for drawing houses.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Cramond

I think maybe I misrepresented myself (unintentionally) in my original post. I'm not a teacher, just a student. On Fridays we get to work on any personal projects that we want to do in the shop, so that's why I'm looking for a couple of things I'd really enjoy making (not that I don't enjoy the class projects, but it's always so much better when you get to pick what to make). I just started using the mill last week. I can mill a piece of bar stock square and parallel and I've started milling slots, but that's it. :D

A steam engine sounded way too advanced until I started actually looking at the plans. I may try one of the easier ones. When I read "steam engine" I immediately thought of the elaborate ones that are made by machinists with much more skill and experience than I can imagine having yet! I guess even they had to start somewhere though.

chem

Reply to
chem