minimal pipe diameter

One can regard the needle of a syringe as a very thin pipe, but it is also a very short pipe. Syringes are used in microscale organic chemistry labs to transfer small quantities of fluids. If one wanted to avoid syringes and instead transfer the same quantities of liquids along a pipe from a small tank of the liquid, I imagine one would need a pipe as thin as a syringe needle. At any rate, one can choose to do so at the design level. (I realize there might be more resistance along the pipe and considerable difficulty clearing a blocked pipe and possible problems due to sagging of the pipe, but never mind.)

I have no laboratory and no shop and have no plans to actually do any of this. I'm just thinking about how it might be done. Since the solution involves a problem in metal work, I think it is appropriate to ask about it here.

The questions are: (1) How would one make a long metal pipe (e.g. a few feet) which is as thin and as hollow as a syringe needle? (2) And what if one wanted the pipe to follow some path other than straight? Probably it is too thin to bend without closing it off, no matter how carefully one tries to do it. Maybe one has to make miniature versions of all of the standard plumbing fixtures and, to make sure the connections are strong enough, one allows the outer diameters of the pipes to increase where the threads are. So that feature of the pipe design would also have to be included.

Ignorantly, Allan Adler snipped-for-privacy@zurich.ai.mit.edu

  • *
  • Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
  • Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
  • in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
  • metropolitan area. *
  • *
Allan Adler

Allan Adler wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nestle.ai.mit.edu:

Would it not be the same to use a larger, more easily manufacturable pipe (read cost) for most of the conduit with only a metering section near the end? What process would require this small of a conduit for any appreciable length? The mechanical properties of this type of conduit would be terrible, subseptable to any vibration, mechanical distortion and temperature gradients.

Reply to
Anthony

When I needed tiny pipe recently, I used a piece of refrigerator cappilary fropm a junk refrigerator. Probably smaller ID than a syringe but can be bent without closing.

Reply to
Nick Hull

As a thought exercise only, I offer the following possibilities:

1a-start off with a flat sheet, of the right width. form it first into a "u" shape, then into an "0" shape. gently heat the resultant shape using electricity to "weld" the seam together. 1b- syringe needles, joined end to end, with flared joints 1c- make a mold, using tungsten wire as the core. 1d-use an extruding mold, and a metal that's soft enough and melts at a low enough temperature to pass through it. You specify "metal". You don't say which type.
2a-compression fittings 2b-make the bends big enough and the tubing won't kink.

*
*
*
Wayne Bengtsson

First of all this type of device is common in precision assembly lines for dispensing glues. Pumping fluids long distances through very narrow pipes is extremely inefficient so a high pressure hose feeds a manifold with capillary tube size nozzles. For two part resin/catylist systems two hoses feed a mixing chamber at the manifold.

Capillary tube is available in copper, aluminum, stainless steel and several plastics. There are even some aramid capillaries with ODs smaller than a human hair. Refrigeration thermostats use a very small ID capillary tube to connect sensor bulbs to a pressure switch. It is relatively thick walled compared to the ID so that it can be bent without crimping.

Metal and therm> One can regard the needle of a syringe as a very thin pipe, but it is also

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Tubing, 304SS, welded and drawn - which means they fold a sheet into a "U", then close it the rest of the way and weld the seam, then draw it thru a die (and possibly over a mandrel) to smooth the seam and reduce the diameter. They have 3' lengths as small as

0.012 OD and 0.006 ID. (I expect this is done with multiple stages of drawing.)

tubing - they don't say how it is made, but I imagine it is also drawn down from a larger size. The wall is thicker, and it doesn't come as small a hypodermic tube - they have several sizes, all 0.062 OD, with IDs ranging from 0.005 to 0.030. It is available in _much_ longer lengths, up to 100'. They coil it - the wall is thick enough that you can handle it much like wire of the same OD.

The capillary tubing has walls thick enough that you _can_ bend it into a moderately tight raduis without pinching off. The hypodermic tubing would be more difficult. You could fill it with a low melting alloy like Cerrosafe, bend, then melt out the alloy.

John Kasunich

Reply to
John Kasunich

Microbore capillary tubine is commonly manfuactured from a variety of materials, but specialty draw houses like Uniform Tubes. Basically a billet of material is gun drilled, and then drawn down over successive draws to achieve the desired wall and bore dimensions.

Bending small diameter tubing such as this is trivially done by filling the tubing with water, and then freezing the water with liquid nitrogen. As long as the water is kept solid during the bending by repeated re-freezing, the tube will not collapse or kink. The water is blown out after all the bending is complete.

Jim

jim rozen

I'd just order ss hypodermic tubing and components from smallparts.com. They're not cheap, but a hell of a lot faster and easier than making the tubing, connectors, and fittings yourself. As far as bending goes... I never tried to bend hypo tube and I hope I never have to.

John B.

P.S. I have no connection with Small Parts Inc. (In fact, I think some of their prices are "down right criminal") but when it comes to low volume orders of small components, they're often the only source - that I have found anyway.

Reply to
John B.

The tubing is available as hypodermic tubing in at least 6 foot lengths. I use it at work quite often, in .109 diameter. Other sizes are available.

RJ

*
*
*