Movin' on up!

I'm still a bit amazed that at age 57, I moved halfway around the world to a very small rural agricultural community, and found a good paying job 5 minutes from home! Helped that fitters are scarce out here and I happened by the day after the sole fitter gave notice... Have been very well accepted and get along great with everyone. But the work can be pretty physical and demanding. The Keith presses are the worst. Cage halves weight some 250 kilos, the shaft around 240. Wrestling these suckers in and out takes a toll on the bod. I'd made it known that I was interested in moving up the ladder somewhere down the track, a softer job extending my working life.

Well, we have a new maintenance manager, and probably the first the company has ever had that really knows what he's doing. I was trying to put together a maintenance program for the rendering plant just before he hired in, if I'd had time to fill it out, it would be but a small part of what he's putting into place. Recognizing a winning plan when I see it, I signed on in full. He's found himself, in addition to getting maintenance up to snuff, acting as Project Manager. Under new corporate ownership, there are massive upgrades and additions going on. Faced with an overload, he tapped me to start moving into the office to assist. I thought sure I'd have to pay my dues for several years before getting this chance. Handling all ordering right now, and will be dealing with a new program, Job Permits. These have to be filled out for any and all work done outside our shop, something many larger companies are implementing here. Have also signed up as the maintenance rep to the safety committee. This will entail 3 days training, and is a ticket item, meaning that training would be a bonus anywhere else I chose to work (not that I plan to look!).

Last cool item, next week I start training for my advanced boiler operator ticket! Both my father and grandfather were boiler operators, so I'll be a 3rd generation boiler man! Once I have that, some additional training, and I'll be qualified to operate a steam locomotive. And there happens to be one nearby that does special trips now and then. Always wanted to run a steam locomotive!

At the home front, got a nice inverter welder and grinder w/cutoff disks, now can start working on the carport, walling it off and have someplace to put my stuff finally.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

It couldn't have hurt that the way was paved for you by the word "abattoir" somewhere in the job description, either, could it? ;)

Don't you have access to a small hoist anywhere to help with that? If not, write it up for the boss to consider. HF engine hoists are $129 on occasion, or whip one up from local pipe and a welder, Mr. Fitter. DIY might even make the boss happier than he is now. Who knows how many backs that job has mangled?

I definitely wish you good luck with that one. I'm trying to figure out how to soften my job for my body, too.

Excellent, Jon!

Again, good luck with all that. I'd love to ride in or run a steam train.

Great!

Aw, too bad. Power hack/band-saws and cold saws are much nicer to deal with.

Bueno.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[ ... ]

Does Harbor Freight have outlets in Australia? That is where he currently is, IIRC.

However -- since most Harbor freight stuff comes from China, it could perhaps be found for less in Australia than here -- once you figure out who imports the same stuff there that Harbor Freight does for the USA. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

No, but other stores mimic the HF stores. Kinda like Princess Auto up in the GWN.

Nah, about the same or a bit more, from what I've seen. But try to ship anything from there to here, or vice-versa! Egad, what a cost!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Snipped

Hi Jon , Glad you found work so quickly , at this time rural Australia jobs are not easy to find .My son has been out of work for over a year and still looking every day .He is back at home with my wife and I and we are helping him as much as we can. I'm looking at retiring this year and buying a new lathe for my small home workshop. I have a passion for firearms and I like to work on restorations and such . Im also looking at making other firearm related stuff like bullet moulds for cast lead alloy bullets . Some of my firearms are very old and I like to shoot them ammo is non existant so I have to roll my own. Anyway so not to bore you , I'll quit now and keep an eye out for more posts from you.

Kev

Reply to
Bluey69

Good to hear from you Kev, been a while. Yeah, it's slim pickin's out here overall, can well imagine it's the same most everywhere. What is your son's line of work? I'd like to think about retiring, but starting over at 58, with savings to speak of, probably going to be working to the end, health willing. Not that that's a bad thing, keep the mind active!

Whatcha got in the way of calibers? Rolled my own back when I used to compete with a club (had a load for my .243 that shot 3/8 groups at 100 yards!) Local pistol club had an open to the public day shortly after I got here, so went up to have a go. Got to shoot a Walther rapid fire pistol. What a joy! But hand's not so steady anymore, spread them side to side. For all the shooting I did in the States, thousands of rounds of plinking in the woods, the tightly structured range shooting just doesn't do it for me. If I can't shoot well, no point in competing. But had to chuckle, Yank shows up in town, first thing goes and handles guns. (for my friend's back in the States, I had to fill out a form that is lodged with the local police, just to pop off a few shots)

Never a bore! Feel free to PM any time! You on FB?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

My son is a machinery operator . Has tickets for operating excavator , bobcat ,truck mounted crane and a heavy vehicle licence ( road train ). We have a few mines around here ,Gold ,Iron , Alamite and a mining boom going on every thing was peachy plenty of work . Unfortunately the raw material prices have dropped , the bum fell out of Iron and the mines closed down or have gone into hibernation until the price rises.The gold mines are still running but are not taking anyone on .

calibres in my safe at the moment are

577 Express ,John Manton double rifle 500 Express ,Charles Boswell double rifle 45/70 1970's era Marlin 1895 LA 303 British 3 rifles to feed 310 Martini Cadet sporter (BSA Martini action) 300 Rook Greener Martini ( on the way ) 300 Sherwood or 300 Westley Richards aka 300 Xtra long ( another Martini action I like Martinis always on the look out for them this one is a Francotte patent action ) 270/303 KAR98 Mauser sporter (Aussie wildcat based on the 303 british case ) 25/303 96 Swede Mauser sporter (Aussie wildcat based on the 303 british case ) 243 Win model 670 bolt gun 38SP/357 Magnum Rossi levergun 22/410 Savage combo early model 24B IIRC with the soild fixed barrels

and the 22 Lithgow 1B single shot (Aussie made ) Sportco 22 single shot ( Aussie made) Reminton Target master model P single shot the serial No on this rifle is 84

12 gauge sxs Cogswell and Harrington "Avant Tout" shotgun Winchester Super grade U/O 501 European shotgun .

Looking for a Francotte Martini in 297/300 Morris just for fun.

No pistolas unfortunately our gun laws are very strict and handguns are not easy to keep , licence rquirements make it difficult.The govt thinks every one is a criminal and if you have a hand gun you are going to kill someone or rob a bank .The Police have the attitude that people who own any firearms at all are a workplace health and safety hazard to them . Law abiding people have to go through the hoops just to get a firearm but the crims don't .

Kev.

Reply to
Bluey69