Moving Myford Lathe

We are moving house and need to get my Myford Super 7 up the basement stairs. To reduce the weight, I would like to remove the motor and the headstock. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the handbook and need to know what is involved in removing the headstock assembly.

Reply to
pdav

cmsteam

Reply to
David Billington

To add to my reply, I forgot to mention, there are 2 slotted setscrews along the front way that hold the headstock in position (maybe used for alignment). These need to be slacked off. If you have a Quickchange Gearbox, this will have to be removed as well to access the left screw. Whatch for any shims that may be along the rear way as you lift off the headstock. RichD

Reply to
cmsteam

the myford looks about as heavy as my atlas 10" 3-4oo pounds tops

you probably sould remove everything easy and obvious and the motor an d move it with the bed and headstock still on on a dolly

Reply to
Brent Philion

HOWEVER< Removing the headstock also reduces the maximum hight of the lathe, making it SIGNIFICANTLY easier to maneuver up the stairs ---------- Mine is in the garage for several pretty good reasons.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I agree. I moved my 11" Delta bed and headstock in one go with a refrigerator dolly. Mind you, it was going down, not up, but it's far heavier than a Myford and went o.k. I had my large son on a belaying line while I let it down and controlled it from above.

If you could get help with a line or rope on a refrigerator dolly, I think it'd come up fine with the headstock end at the bottom and extra lashings low on the dolly to keep it secure. The normal dolly strap would work well on the tailstock end.

Good luck.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Leave the headstock on, remove the motor and countershaft unit off the back.You can also remove the topsplide/crosslide as an assembly by cranking it off with the feedscrew.

I carried mine down and back up a set of stairs by myself with little difficulty. If you are uncertain or unwilling to do that, use a furniture cart with the lathe bed firmly strapped onto it. One guy runs the handle, the other can guide fom below and aid in the lifting from stair to stair.

Removal of the headstock is just making more work for yourself in the dissasembly/assembly.

If you are hell's bent on it's removal, the bolts are under the spindle, fore and aft of it.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Really appreciate all the suggestions. We emigrated to Canada from the UK with the Myford in 1975 when I was aged 39. Getting it down the basement stairs in one piece was then a fun challange and gravity also helped. 31 years later, (you can calculate my age), getting it up (the stairs) will be an even bigger challange. Still, I will remove the tailstock, cross slide and motor and get one of the Grandchildren to help. Incidently, my passion is Stuart Turner stationary steam engines.

Regards

Pete Davenport

Reply to
pdav

Really appreciate all the suggestions. We emigrated to Canada from the UK with the Myford in 1975 when I was aged 39. Getting it down the basement stairs in one piece was then a fun challange and gravity also helped. 31 years later, (you can calculate my age), getting it up (the stairs) will be an even bigger challange. Still, I will remove the tailstock, cross slide and motor and get one of the Grandchildren to help. Incidently, my passion is Stuart Turner stationary steam engines.

Regards

Pete Davenport

222 80114 body Really appreciate all the suggestions. We emigrated to Canada from the UK with the Myford in 1975 when I was aged 39. Getting it down the basement stairs in one piece was then a fun challange and gravity also helped. 31 years later, (you can calculate my age), getting it up (the stairs) will be an even bigger challange. Still, I will remove the tailstock, cross slide and motor and get one of the Grandchildren to help. Incidently, my passion is Stuart Turner stationary steam engines.

Regards

Pete Davenport

Reply to
pdav