My dumb question of the week

As long as the metal is fed in straight, it rolls a straight circle. Rod seems to spiral no matter what, but is easy to take the spiral out as you roll it.

Reply to
Bill McKee

How does a circle roller make a true circle, and keep from making a slightly spiraled finished loop? I think I'm gonna get a cheap one from HF for some light work. Other suggestions?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Takes 4 things to make a circle roller work well.

For flat and square stock: The rollers have to be parallel. Material MUST be fed exactly at a 90 degree angle to the rollers. ANY angle and you get a spiral. Material feed rate has to be steady. Material itself must be dimensionally accurate. Stock that is tapered, uneven, directionally stressed will cause problems.

Get any of them wrong and you get a spiral.

For round stock. All bets are off... Mainly due to internal stress in the stock. Plus the inability to keep the stock in the same plane as you feed it, it likes to twist as you run it through the rolls. However with round stock it isn't hard to straighten up the loop.

Reply to
Steve W.