NAMES Class on Backyard Foundry

Threaded View
Presenter, Rick Chownyk, brought 20 drawing giveaways of a foundry burner
(the Oliver type) figuring there'd only be a handful of spectators. Boy, did
he misjudge the enthusiasm for this topic!
I'd say there was at least a hundred, and possibly double that number, of
guys gathered around the demonstration.
Rick made the demo 'down and dirty' and did the melt and pour without
benefit of degassing using a standard steel crucible.
Rather than a use a wooden pattern, Rick glued together some pieces of
styrofoam that he earlier dipped in a ceiling texture compound and let dry.
He placed the patterns in a bucket, and surrounded it with playground sand.
He added a riser, and then did the pour.
And it turned out great!
My compliments to Rick for reducing the foundry process to it's basics and
opening up a possibly new hobby for dozens of attendees.
Chet

Re: NAMES Class on Backyard Foundry

Glad to hear it turned out okay.  I caught the 11:00AM  part but wanted to see
Ron
Ginger's Advertures in CNC at 12, so I missed the heat and pour.

How long did it take from fire to melt?

Wes

Re: NAMES Class on Backyard Foundry
From 'fire up' to 'melt' I think was about 20 minutes.
Didn't time it myself, but Rick said that that was his average start up
time.
Follow-up melts went much faster.
I think he said he gets about 5 pours out of a standard 20# propane tank.
(Some of those coming from folo melts)
I, myself, am looking to turning on the juice to my new home made electronic
foundry later this month.
(Big Bertha style)
I expect it to take roughly 2/3's longer, or about an hour...

Re: NAMES Class on Backyard Foundry

I've been tempted to try my top loading pottery kiln to do some aluminum, maybe
even
brass.  Nothing fancy, just making stock to turn or mill.

Pictures of your foundry would be nice to see.

Wes
in their eyes."  Dick Anthony Heller

Re: NAMES Class on Backyard Foundry

  That sounds about average , mine takes about 18 minutes from dead cold to
5 lbs of molten Al .

  They usually do , because the furnace is already hot . About 10-12 minutes
for mine - I'm running one Reil-type 3/4" burner , about 60k Btu's (I think
, depending on gas pressure it might be more) .

  He must have a much larger foundry than mine , I get about 15-20 melts per
tank , depending on what I'm melting . Mine's built in a five gallon bucket
and I can melt about 8-10 lbs with the right crucible .

  I'd like to see more info on that . There's been talk of various types of
electric furnaces on the castinghobby group , but only resistance units in
operation as far as I know . Couple of guys are trying to get inductance
units running , not sure how that's going .

--
  Snag
  every answer

Site Timeline