Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info

Threaded View
I will shortly be trying to convert my Atlas 10F manual gear change
lathe to  QC gearbox(I think).   My lathe has a reversing mechanism
mounted on the left end of the leadscrew, so I will have to remove it
and adapt a reverse tumbler up by the headstock.
Rex Burkheimer of this group, has been very helpful with info about this
conversion, but the only mystery left is the shape and location of the
subject part, which was (apparently) offered in the QC conversion kits
offered for my model of lathe many years ago (but no more).
The part I need is the "Tumbler reverse quadrant plate".  It bolts onto
the left side of the headstock and provides the proper pivot point for
the tumbler assembly.  It also has the detents and labeling for the
tumbler position.
   If you have one, I'd like pix or is it's for sale, I'll buy it.  If
you have any info about it, I'd appreciate that, too.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------------------------

Re: Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info

I'll Send some pix of the QC assembly

you need the assembly with the Pick off gears to make the leadscrew
rotate CW or CCW right?

I'll try taking a few shots when i'm back home.  Tell me if they are
what youre looking for

Re: Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info

Is that the same as the banjo?  If so, I have one with the casting number
L3-58M that is "surplus to my needs".  If that sounds like something you can
use, email me and I'll send you a couple of pictures.

Mike

Re: Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info
No.  The banjo is the part that holds all the various change gears.
That's the confusing part.   Some non-quick change atlas lathes had  a
reversing "tumbler" arrangement right up by the headstock,like a lot of
other lathes do. This device holds only 3 gears and has a lever sticking
out the left end of the HEADSTOCK that has 3 positions, up, center and down.
  Other models have the reversing mechanism down at the left end of the
lead screw.  This kind of reverser also acts like a clutch, so you don't
have to stop the lathe to change direction of the lead screw.  That's
the kind I have, but I have to change to the "tumbler" kind for the QC
gearbox.   I just won the QC gearbox since I made the original post, so
I am committed to the project now.

Thanks for your interest,
Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

Re: Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info
In that case you might try Clausing to see how much a new part would be -
sometimes their prices can be reasonable.

Mike

Re: Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info
Thanks.  Good Idea.  I did it.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Re: Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info

And at others...$81 for a drive belt for a 1501...eeep...grrrrr!
ack!!!  Plus shipping

Gunner, whose 1501 is languishing for want of a drive belt....
"If  thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold  rain and  the Gore-tex  of Odin's raiment
is to  gullshit in the gale,   for thy angst shall vex them not at
all.   Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more.      Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of  adoration,
knowing  that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni   1:33

Re: Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info

Gawd, what's it made of, rhino leather with gold lacing?
Stan

Re: Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info

Since the near extinction of the Nauga herds in the Canadadian prarie
provinces...the price of Naugahide has gone over the top..Im wondering
if they are made of Naugahide.

Its a simple variable speed belt, nothing fancy. I need to take the
mortal remains to a good belt shop and see if they can fix me up. Most
variable speed belts of this size are about $36

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Re: Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info

The Yahoo Clausing group might be able to help identify an off-the-shelf
replacement.  I think that Browning or Goodyear sources drive belts for the
5900/6300 series lathes.

Mike

Re: Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info

OoOO! Id not thought of that..though Im a member of that group..Ive not
read it in a year or more.

Thanks!

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)