Need Atlas Lathe tumbler reverse quadrant plate or info

I will shortly be trying to convert my Atlas 10F manual gear change lathe to QC gearbox(I think). My lathe has a reversing mechanism mounted on the left end of the leadscrew, so I will have to remove it and adapt a reverse tumbler up by the headstock. Rex Burkheimer of this group, has been very helpful with info about this conversion, but the only mystery left is the shape and location of the subject part, which was (apparently) offered in the QC conversion kits offered for my model of lathe many years ago (but no more). The part I need is the "Tumbler reverse quadrant plate". It bolts onto the left side of the headstock and provides the proper pivot point for the tumbler assembly. It also has the detents and labeling for the tumbler position. If you have one, I'd like pix or is it's for sale, I'll buy it. If you have any info about it, I'd appreciate that, too.

Pete Stanaitis

----------------------------------

Reply to
spaco

I'll Send some pix of the QC assembly

you need the assembly with the Pick off gears to make the leadscrew rotate CW or CCW right?

I'll try taking a few shots when i'm back home. Tell me if they are what youre looking for

Reply to
Brent

Is that the same as the banjo? If so, I have one with the casting number L3-58M that is "surplus to my needs". If that sounds like something you can use, email me and I'll send you a couple of pictures.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

No. The banjo is the part that holds all the various change gears. That's the confusing part. Some non-quick change atlas lathes had a reversing "tumbler" arrangement right up by the headstock,like a lot of other lathes do. This device holds only 3 gears and has a lever sticking out the left end of the HEADSTOCK that has 3 positions, up, center and down. Other models have the reversing mechanism down at the left end of the lead screw. This kind of reverser also acts like a clutch, so you don't have to stop the lathe to change direction of the lead screw. That's the kind I have, but I have to change to the "tumbler" kind for the QC gearbox. I just won the QC gearbox since I made the original post, so I am committed to the project now.

Thanks for your interest, Pete Stanaitis

------------------------

Mike Henry wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Thanks. Good Idea. I did it.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------

Mike Henry wrote:

Reply to
spaco

And at others...$81 for a drive belt for a 1501...eeep...grrrrr! ack!!! Plus shipping

Gunner, whose 1501 is languishing for want of a drive belt.... "If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

In that case you might try Clausing to see how much a new part would be - sometimes their prices can be reasonable.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Gawd, what's it made of, rhino leather with gold lacing? Stan

Reply to
stans4

The Yahoo Clausing group might be able to help identify an off-the-shelf replacement. I think that Browning or Goodyear sources drive belts for the

5900/6300 series lathes.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Since the near extinction of the Nauga herds in the Canadadian prarie provinces...the price of Naugahide has gone over the top..Im wondering if they are made of Naugahide.

Its a simple variable speed belt, nothing fancy. I need to take the mortal remains to a good belt shop and see if they can fix me up. Most variable speed belts of this size are about $36

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

OoOO! Id not thought of that..though Im a member of that group..Ive not read it in a year or more.

Thanks!

Gunner