Need books suggestions

I've finished off my list of books on machining that I wanted to by today. I ordered the other two volumes of Lautard and Connelly's book on scraping.

What else should I consider when I get caught up on reading?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

see

to go with the hand scraping see
Unka' George ================ When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), Anglo-American political theorist, writer. Common Sense, ch. 4 (1776).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I took you up on your suggestions and placed an order.

Lindsaybooks really needs to fix their ordering page. It seems a bit retro like 1998.

I found that selecting title to price and then pasting into notepad where body text in between is easy to delete is the trick. I was navigating between your links and two tabs in mozilla when I blew it and wiped out my order. Lindsay is loosing sales with a poor order entry system.

My order list, added a couple other books to your fine suggestions.

How to Design & Build Centrifugal Fans No. 4600 ... $9.95

Building a Gas Fired Crucible Furnace No. 1281 ... $12.95 Learning the Lost Art of Hand Scraping from Eight Classic Machine Shop Textbooks reprinted by Lindsay Publications No. 23225 ... $4.

Bench Lathe Manufacture and Hand Scraping No. 22164 ... $5.95

Machinery's Industrial Secrets Babbitt Bearing Techniques No. 22440 ... $5.95

How I Pour Babbitt Bearings No. 1524 ... $7.95

Thanks Unka, Wes

Reply to
clutch

How to Design & Build Centrifugal Fans No. 4600 ... $9.95

Building a Gas Fired Crucible Furnace No. 1281 ... $12.95 Learning the Lost Art of Hand Scraping from Eight Classic Machine Shop Textbooks reprinted by Lindsay Publications No. 23225 ... $4.

Bench Lathe Manufacture and Hand Scraping No. 22164 ... $5.95

Machinery's Industrial Secrets Babbitt Bearing Techniques No. 22440 ... $5.95

How I Pour Babbitt Bearings No. 1524 ... $7.95

American Machinist Memories Babbitt 1910-1916 No. 22970 ... $8.95

Machinery's Industrial Secrets Babbitt Bearing Techniques No. 22440 ... $5.95

How I Pour Babbitt Bearings No. 1524 ... $7.95

Reply to
clutch

I've just about finished my third reading (lifetime) of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" then I'm going to finish my re-reading of Orwells

1984 again.

I could go for a popular novel if Tom Clancy, John J. Nance, Stephen Coonts, or Dale Brown have written something new.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Slow down on reading technical stuff and read some good novels! I average one a week and get twitchy if I don't have my next on lined up.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Is this Oprah's Book Club? Get the book Advanced Machine Work, it's old but more complete and informative than any I've read on the subject. I have a lot of machining books. The next one I'm getting is Machine Tool Reconditioning, if I can find it at a decent price. Good Luck.

Reply to
best wire

Perhaps it is now time to read the Atlas "How to run a lathe" manual. :)

I tend to not read the popular novels, but I do like good Science Fiction and Fantasy.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Read Lary Niven and Jerry Pournelle?

Pretty Good Stuff!

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Dale Brown??? I read one of his and just couldn't stand all the flat out IMPOSSIBLE things he used. The crowning insult was the geo-synch satelite over the north pole. Now Tom Clancy, that is my kind of books. Have read all of the fiction at least twice spread over the last 10 years. Lots of other good authors that dont take such unbridled liberties with physics or other science. Of course there is Nevil Shute :-) and then Tony Hillerman, J.A. Jance, Vince Flynn, Dick Francis, and one of the greatest W.E.B.Griffin. Lots of others. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Of course -- along with lots of others.

Yep!

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Tom Gardner :

[ ... ]

All but the last, which I am still waiting for -- and at least one historical romance which he wrote before he started on this series.

Brooks? Isn't he the _Sword of Shanara_ author? I tried him, and found the stories to be too derivative of JRR Tolkien's _Lord of the Rings_, which I *loved*.

Sure -- those my wife started on, and now we fight for the first chance at the next one to come in.

Have you ever read any of Terry Pratchett's works? In particular the _Diskworld_ series? A world which really *is* flat, traveling through space (and all of those spherical worlds) on the backs of four elephants, on the back of a giant tortoise named "a'Tuin" IIRC. These are also hilarious, and are a series which my wife has picked up from me to compensate for the Evanovich ones which I read from her collection. :-)

Pick up anything by Phil Foglio -- including the "graphics novels". Start with _Buck Godot Zap Gun for Hire_, and the _Girl Genius_ series. you can find them at his web site, and if you like them enough, you can go find a good comics store and buy the dead-trees editions. Check out:

for the start of the _Girl Genius_ series ("Girl Genius 101"), click for the start of the series, and read up to the latest (about midway through volume 4), and then jump to:

click back to the start of that series, and read forward from a little later in volume 4 to the current one, page 27 of volume 7. To fill in that gap, you will either have to wait through a few more postings (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), or go to the comics store and buy the dead-tree edition. From those two sections, you can also find the Buck Godot series starting back on the Web.

Note that the start of volume 1 is B&W, and all the rest are very nicely colored. You'll love the steam-powered robots, which make that series pretty appropriate in this newsgroup. :-)

Also, look for a paperback by Phil Foglio of _Illegal Aliens_ co-written with someone else.

Phil Foglio also did the illustrations for the _Another Fine Myth_ series, written by Robert Asprin, starting back in the 1980s I think. Foglio also did a graphics novel version of the first story in that series.

Also by Robert Asprin, look for the _Phule's Company_ series, about how a space legion company can defy all the rules, and get ahead.

If you want some rather wry humor poking fun at all of the variants of SF stories, look for the _Samurai Cat_ series -- rather bloody, but funny.

For a more serious line, try L. E. Modesitt's series on _The Saga of Recluse_, and the _Spellsong_ cycle. Both are places where magic works in various ways.

You now have a few pointers above.

Thanks, but I will wait for the dead tree version. Besides, you couldn't e-mail anything that big to me (actually, nothing over 30K total e-mail size -- a setup to keep the virus inflow down and out of a couple of small mailing lists which I operate.)

I *could* read the PDF format fairly easily, but the Word format would mean fighting with Sun's StarOffice to try to read it.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hmm ... that is on a par with one from an author whose name I mercifully don't remember, who had "side-looking radar" mounted on a stationary fortress on some mountaintop. :-)

Both are the result of an author using a term which sounds impressive, without understanding anything about what it meant. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

the binary groups such as alt.binaries.e-books.flood are marvelous for gathering reading materials. I read at least 2 a week simply for stress reduction.

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

Time to read Unintended Consequences again as we approach a new election cycle....

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

you got my email addy?

I dont think Ive mythed any of the series so far..marvelous entertaiment reading

John Ringo is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors..particularly the Legacy of the Alldenata series.

play March of Cambreath at full volume when reading Posleen wave attacks....

His Ghost series is quite good..though after #2..it becomes rather adult in nature..as a warning for those with inhibitions....

Baen Books is nice enough to allow you to read a number of them on line...well..most of them..sorta like a drug dealer giving you a taste...Some are full versions actually.

And of course David Weber and his Honor Harrington series....good shit Maynard.

And ahum...er..most can be gotten ah..er..free..er..from alt.binary.e-book.flood..or so its been said. Ahum....

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

Enjoy...

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

I'm also a SF/Fantasy fan. I assume you have read all of Jordan's door stops? Eddings? Goodkind? Brooks? You HAVE to read Evonovich's series, funniest author I have ever read! You will pee your pants. We must compare booklists, I need some new authors.

I have the new "Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows" that hasn't been published yet in PDF and Word format if you like.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The Ringworld series was fantastic. In now I've read a ton of Niven and Pournelle but the other titles don't come to mind atm.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Ever read any Turtledove alternate history books?

Wes

Reply to
clutch