Need copy of threads/inch chart for South Bend 16" Flat Belt Lathe PLEASE!

I'm in the process of rebuilding an old flatbelt South Bend 16" that was in a building fire. I'm missing the threading chart that resides on the face of the quick change gear box. It's the 2 lever-out-the-bottom model and not the one with a lever out the top. If someone with one of these old lathes could take a clear digital picture of the plate or copy down the different combinations of threads vs lever positions, and email or fax it to me, I would be VERY grateful. I can't find anyone in town with one and have looked in the manuals I have and it doesn't show it. I guess I should have counted all the gears tooth-count while it was apart, then I could at least calculate it out maybe. My email is snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Thanks! Thanks!

Reply to
dan tadie

If you are not successful in getting a copy of the plate an alternative would be to position a dial indicator against the carriage and, with the half nut engaged, rotate the spindle one turn exactly. Note the movement on the dial indicator and divide that value into 1 (one) to get the thread count at that particular QC lever combination. Be careful to have all play taken up when you start your full turn of the spindle.

Example, if the carriage moves .040 then 1/.040 gives 25 TPI.

Just a suggestion.

Errol Groff Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Tech

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://newenglandmodeleng>I'm in the process of rebuilding an old flatbelt South Bend 16" that

Reply to
Errol Groff

Reply to
Don Young

From page 74 of the 1966 edition of the SBL publication How to Run A Lathe:

Regards ... Rick Renner

Reply to
Rick Renner

There was some enterprising fellow on ebay marketing reproduction brass plates for 10" lathes. He probably doesn't make them for the 16" lathes, though. The plate on my 10" is still quite legible, but I thought it was a nice product for someone undertaking a serious functional restoration.

Reply to
ATP