Need recipe for moglice like material

Being cheap and having a need to build up the apron slide surfaces on my Chinese lathe mill/drill because they were not machined correctly, I would like to try something like Moglice. I have powdered bronze, teflon and moly on hand as well as epoxy.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John.

Also cross posted on The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS/General

Reply to
Machinist60

If you find out, PLEASE post the recipe.

Ignoramus5865

Search around the Web on those names and you'll find lots of speculation, experimentation, and so on.

If you're going to fool with Moglice or similar materials, you should see their handbook:

There are different types of Moglice. Some contain steel fillers, others contain aluminum. The speculation is that they contain large amounts of molybdenum disulfide and/or graphite. Diamant (makers of Moglice) mentions two materials -- Moglice and a competitor, SKC, and says they contain those two lubricating materials. They don't say which is which, or if one or the other contains both. I've never tried to find out.

Moglice 1000 contains some Teflon.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Thanks Ed, I've already checked that out.

Reply to
Machinist60

I"m going to rebuild the turcite lining on my Clausing lathe's variable speed drive. I'm thinking of a trial of JB Weld with about

15% by volume of Molybdenum disulfied added. I suppose that if it doesn't hold up, I'll machine off the JB Weld and do it over with Moglice.

If you're reading this Iggy, how's the green turcite on your new lathe? Are you going to have to rebuild variable speed drive?

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

RWL, on my lathe the coating is BLACK, not green. FWIW. I would think that it is powdered graphite, like this.

The coating is in decent condition, unlike the rest of the VS assembly (busted keyway, busted rim to hold the bushing, etc).

I am thinking to do what Mike Henry did 9 years ago and just get the whole new assembly and enjoy this lathe for the rest of my life. The rest looks very good to me and it does seem to be accurate.

Ignoramus16496