Need Someone To Turn Threads

Hello -

I'm attempting to build myself a wood lathe from scratch. After a few failed attempts at manually turning 3/4-16 threads with a die and die handle on 3/4" steel round, I'm hoping to find someone that could do it for me for a reasonable price. I'm trying to build the lathe from Wood Magazine's article from 1987, with slight modifications.

What I need is to have a 3/4" dia 15" long piece of steel round threaded on one end with 3/4-16 NF for 2" in length. I was able to turn the threads without a problem, but could not do it such that they were concentrick with the 3/4" shaft.

Is there someone on this group who could do this, or recommend someone? How much should one expect to pay for something like this?

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Where do you live? If you're within driving distance of Davis California, I'll give it a shot for you.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

No bid deal, Kevin. I'll do it as a freebie if you can work out the details. I live in Western Washington State. Are you close?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

weld 2 all thread rods together

Reply to
HaroldA102

I'd strongly suggest that you consider 1"-8 unless you've already got other components in hand based on the 3/4" shaft. A little more meat, and a lot more common wood lathe nose size these days, unless you have a pile of stuff in that size already. 1-1/4"-8 or 1-1/2"-8 are even better, if you are starting from scratch and have no other accessories to remain compatible with.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Yipes... and when *I* said I was going to build a wood-turning lathe with metal, half the posters came out and said I should use wood, metal is overkill!!

Tim

Tim Williams

While it's certainly possible to turn on a wooden lathe, and quite a decent one can be built, I would not care to use wood for the spindle, especially if it was a normally driven lathe, not a spring-pole.

In ~27 years of woodturning I've used quite a variety of lathes, and own quite a variety at this point. While I don't own a 3/4-16, I do own the piddlest wood lathe spindle in common use - the infamous 5/8" plain of the shopsmith. I also own some 1-8 and considerably larger (but not on today's standards) spindle noses. I've turned some large things on the

5/8 inch spindle - but I prefer not to, given a choice.

I'm not overly happy with the stability of a lathe I have which is 1"-8 on a 1" shaft - the flex in the system is a notable detriment - it would be better (as some better lathes are designed) with a 2" shaft tuned down to 1" at the ends (if one wanted to stay at 1"-8) - the thicker midsection stiffens the lathe.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Harold -

Thanks very much for the generous offer! I'm in Fort Collins, CO, so I'd have to ship the blank stock to you. No big deal, but I did finally find a local machine shop that will do it for ~$15-20. So by the time I shipped to you and paid for shipping back it'd probably be a wash.

Thanks again for the offer though!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

My pleasure, Kevin. Hope it works out fine. Let us know how the lathe turns out.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Just a note: - If you plan on a face plate - can you get one for those thread/diam ? How about chucks ?

You might want to price some stuff before you decide on a specific diam and thread.

I have a 1" x 10 spindle and it was a bear for a while to find something.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

My uncle has a wood lathe that is larger and ever so much iron as my Engine lathe (metal). It turns larger stock also! Such is life.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:40:41 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn" calmly ranted:

lathe (metal).

You want to see the MOAL?

= Mother Of All Lathes)

Tom does a bit of non-lathe woodworking, too.

Larry Jaques

Tim sez:"> Yipes... and when *I* said I was going to build a wood-turning lathe with

Yeah, but Tim, we knew you could do it!

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

lathe (metal).

I think it is a MOALP - lathe projects. Nice concept for the scallops!

The largest one I have seen is one were a man would use a hoist to pick up the carbide cutter as he stood on the tool post.

This was one Big lathe and it was used to make large diameter while long elements.

It was cutting limestone the last picture I saw.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:19:55 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn" calmly ranted:

lathe (metal).

Yes, I'm sure its an ongoing project, but he's turning large, short telephone-pole-sized columns on it now.

I was in a carving shop in Escondido, CA a few years ago and they had an old 5hp lathe. There was no bed and the two ends were anchored ot the concrete. It had a 24' capability with an EIGHT FOOT swing. The thing was from the turn-of-the-last-century and the motor was maybe 16" in diameter and nearly 2' long. I'd love to have seen it in action. He joked that his bowls would serve an entire army in one sitting. (I'll see if I can scare up a picture of it...if that wasn't one of the things I missed after running out of film. Drat!)

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques