New rcm low

Getting messages this afternoon Agent says getting up 321messages. After filtering onlt 19 messages were left. Then I had to add 3 new filters. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Yep, about the same here. I do miss the RCM of 5 to 15 years ago.

I tried practical machinist for a while, but the owner banned me because I used my business logo for my avatar. I don't know of other options for us RCM types.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

It's the entire Usenet that's gone. So many good news groups ruined.

Reply to
Richard

Not perfection , but a lot of nice folks there .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Too many idiot right wing nut jobs, I've pretty much given up on the place.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Those left wing nut jobs are perfectly acceptable. I'm glad you have such a good perspective.

Reply to
Chimaera

had not heard of this, I just registered

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

RCM and other newsgroups are just fine with appropriate filters. If spending 1.5 minutes per month maintaining filters is too much for you I'd suggest that's indicative of an entirely different issue...

Reply to
Pete C.

When I get a new spammer/troll , I just hit the ol' block sender button . Max 15 seconds to delete all posts from said blocked sender , couldn't tell ya how many minutes/month though . Multi-crossposted politics heads the ploink list ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

It is not the filtering I'm averse to, it is the dearth of on topic posts, posts about metalworking. Eric

Reply to
etpm

It's seasonal to some extent. People's shops are seasonally too hot or cold to work in, or they are busy with vacations and whatnot. Spring and fall are the peak times for actual metalwork I think.

There is also the case that people don't post if they don't need advice or it's routing stuff. I've been welding up solar panel mounts which I posted about a while back. I've also been working on the CNC lathe LinuxCNC conversion. Then I was out of town for three weeks. Now I'm starting back on stuff again. I also have some AR lowers to machine, a few silencers to make, etc. now that my shop is down to comfortable temperatures.

Reply to
Pete C.

I probably have too many kill filters. Throwing the baby out with the bath water. Just a few posts a day get through, and often a reply to a bozo I killed.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yet mine go unanswered. Doesn't anyone have a Victor J28 torch?

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have only one filter (Thunderbird).

That's the comma in the address field. No crossposted messages come through at all. Maybe throwing the baby out too, but it reduces the temptation down to a (hopefully) manageable level. Except for Ed...

Reply to
Richard

I'm flattered...

'Don't worry, we have a third magazine coming out early next year, and I'll be like a one-armed paper hanger, too busy for this.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Sorry, not me. I do have a spare Victor ca270-v torch. It looks like this, but has a 0-3-101 cutting tip

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Only the 000 tip appears not to violate the recommended acetylene withdrawal rate of an MC tank in the Victor tote. My well-used set came with a 2-W-J welding and a rosebud tip. I asked for advice before ordering a 000 tip which I thought I could use for auto body sheet metal, to reflow and clean up my messy MIG welds.

After it arrived I ran a bead on 24 gauge steel. It welded it OK without melting through but the heat-affected, scaled zone on the back side was much larger than I like.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The potential welding job was on a rear fender lip where the curved inner liner is too close to the outer body for reasonable internal access, or to remove all the factory caulking. I gve up on welding and filled the rust hole with J-B Weld, then tediously carved the internal curves where the trim strip fits with needle files. The rusted area on the other side had been larger and I MIG welded a steel patch.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

But upgrading T-Bird seems to have broken that one filter.

Damn, there's a lot of noise in here!

Reply to
Richard

You should back up your filters before an upgrade. I created a shortcut to the folder so I can copy or restore them in the older Netscape version. It's in the User folder of the program itself.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell