New shop and rain entering thru garage doors?

I had my new shop installed this fall, its 24x47 setting on a 24x48 slab. The problem is the

1 foot of concrete in front of the garage doors, the rain runs under the garage doors into the shop. Im thinking of grinding a few grooves from the edge of the concrete pad to the garage door area, using a diamond blade on a side grinder. The metal doors have a rubber strip on the bottom but this dosent stop all the rain water. Has anyone had a similar problem, if so how did you fix the problem?
Reply to
clc

I left less concrete sticking out - in both cases, slightly more attention to detail by the concrete finishing crew would have been the best option. Your grooves sound like a good idea. I'm building a small section of roof over the doorway (the roof overhangs by 2 feet, but is

20 odd feet up, so a second overhang built just above the door should help divert additional water, though not all if the wind blows hard enough).
Reply to
Ecnerwal

Too bad. My old shop door - a doublewide garage door - was at the north end of a long flat driveway and in the winter the prevailing south wind would drive the infamous Seattle rain under the door. The former owner had a long 2x4 he'd put across the outside bottom of the door, said it helped a lot. When I designed my new shop (just a shoebox extension down the driveway) I told the concrete guys I wanted a trench drain. They said no need, they'd slope the skirt a little and it would be dry. They did, it is.

Anyway, the cheapest solution is to simply lay something like wood down. Is the driveway in front sloped down towards the door? If so, I'd try a French drain straight across the front and lay sheet steel over it when I had to roll something heavy in or out.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

For starters, the concrete outside needs to slope away from the doors. An overhang on the roof to somewhat protect the door also helps. Then, the concrete INSIDE the door should also slope towards the door. Water has a hard time running up-hill, and is virtually impossible to stop running down.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

The same thing happened to me with the double garage door in my shop. The contractor left the slab flat under the door. I installed a sill on the slab under the door. I don't remember where I bought it but I've recently seen them in Lowes or HD. The sill is a flexible (some kind of high impact plastic?) about 4 inches wide and trimmed to the length of the door opening, and I laid it down with Marine Goop. The rubber seal attached to the bottom of the door fits right into a groove molded into the sill. It has been working fine for more than ten years now. When we added an addition to the shop this past summer I made sure we dropped and slanted the slab under the new door.

Reply to
Terry Mayhugh

Reply to
JR North

Well, you've got to be smarter than th' problem son... or so my Grandpa used to say.

What exactly is th' major source of said water, vertical or horizontal?

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

My shop 10' wide doors have sloped fronts. The two back doors are not protected by an overhang - but function the same unless a driving wind blows in from that direction. Then only a small amount of leakage is present. What bugs me on the back doors is the grass growing there. Have to cut it out and get the leaves ...

Grant Erw>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I had one of those implanted into cement at the bottom of my driveway - 45 degree down slope or 30+ on the easy side - strange drive - down hill to the house / garage. It drained out one end and down a long black pipe. It had removable light gray grate tops that lived for years without problems. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Terry Mayhugh wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

snipped-for-privacy@conninc.com wrote in news:1133212332.943605.218840 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

The bad thing about grooves....if it freezes with water in it, the concrete is likely to crack. It should have sloped away from the doors starting about 6" behind them. You could grind a slope on it, or you could build an awning/roof.

Reply to
Anthony

Might consider an awning projecting 2-3 feet out from the building?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

We have them in all the bays at the station.

Reply to
Steve W.