New use for a bandsaw

According to the weather station I recently acquired, we got 7.11" of rain yesterday. Between 10:30pm and 11:30pm alone the sky dumped 2.77". This all on top of over 7" last Saturday and off and on the rest of the week. For the first time since I bought my house 10 years ago, the basement flooded. There was about six inches of water; not too bad considering what I've seen on TV from around my area and of course Katrina. But the question was, how was I going to get rid of it? I tried the shopvac, but lugging 10 gallons of water at a pop up the outside stairs got old very quickly. Then I looked over at the Turn Pro bandsaw and said to myself, "Hmmm, might be a good time to try out the coolant pump." I took off shoes/socks, disassembled the coolant container and was delighted to find a nice quality cast-iron pump lurking down there. I mickey-moused some hoses together eventually attaching a garden hose and ran it up the stairs. Found out how to disconnect the electric to the saw from the pump (pump won't run unless the saw's turned on). Moved the saw into the deepest water, set the pump down, turned it on and in two hours the basement was dry. I don't think I'll ever press this poor pump into that kind of duty again, but I'm sure there wasn't a pump to be had at the big-box stores this weekend. BTW, the saw works great, too!

Reply to
NokNokMan

The feckless suffer and bleat pitifully while the competent improvise, get 'er done -- and then help others. Careful, you may have just earned a place on Gunner's list of "survivalists"...

Reply to
Don Foreman

Now THERE is thinking outside the box. Using your bandsaw to pump out the basement.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Indeed.

"adapt, improvise, overcome"

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Ayup! :)

Among the ways to perform a task successfully are: Money, Mind, and Muscle. Lacking the first, the other two may have to do, and often will if carefully applied.

Reply to
John Husvar

That I wouldn't have thought of when I had too much water, and a burned out sumppump

Ended up using some powerheads from the fishtank.

All those years I thought thos GPH rates on those little things were all BS, but was pleasantly surprised on how much, and how high those could lift/move water

** mike **
Reply to
mike

Let the record show that Gunner Asch wrote back on Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:17:02 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

And here I thought he'd figured some way to use the bandsaw to "fling" water. All he did was figure out how to use the coolant pump on his bandsaw to pump water ... still a clever application, and the ability to see the operation part of "coolant pump" is "pump".

Like the time I needed to keep some candles dry, and was trying to figure out how to wrap them in plastic wrap, when She Who is So Smart says "Use a Condom." that's how I got the flat forehead; "Well," smack!, "Du'h!". :-)

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I'm told it's also good way to keep the moisture away from your Land Rover ignition coil if you're a serious off-roading fan.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Yes, the "nebish" guys wander around the parking lot asking, "Anybody got any jumper cables?".

The smart ones, fewer in number every day, have a set in their trunks and are usually willing to stop and help the suffering.

(But rarely need them to start their own cars because they keep their vehicles maintained and remember to shut lights and stuff off.)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Many years back I was in Sweden. They had recently found and retrieved the well-preserved hulk of a ship, the Wasa, built in 1628. It was on exhibit in a new museum. The story, as I recall it, was that king Gustav II ordered the ship built, and then got involved in the engineering. He insisted on adding huge amounts of armor to the ship's walls. On it's maiden voyage, it capsized and sank before leaving the harbor.

I have saved a 100 Kronor note from that time (1977). The note has a big picture of the king in profile. The top of his head in this portrait slopes back at about 45 degrees. It cracked me up. I assumed it got that way from slapping his forehead after the Wasa sunk.

Reply to
xray

......... The story, as I recall it, was that king Gustav

So today we have Congress engineering health care, is it any wonder it's sinking? ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

"Take the saran wrap back to the kitchen and put all your faith in the Pill" - early '60s rural mantra Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

My 1960 Austin (4 cyl.) got a rubber glove over the distributer which was located in the direct splash zone of the right wheel, wich, in Canada, hits every puddle on the road. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

"Gerald Miller" wrote: clip)"Take the saran wrap back to the kitchen and put all your faith in the Pill" (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A guy walked into the coffee group the other morning and said, "I heard that high school kids are using Saranwap in lieu of condoms. I wonder why...easy to come by, I suppose."

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Gunner would have plumbed his Quincy, if he can find it, and pumped it out in 12 minutes.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yeah. And they make sure that their wives and daughters have jumper cables and know how to use them safely.

There was an interesting post on the Subaru newsgroup about synthetic oil and dead batteries. The gist was that cars with synthetic oil crank a lot easier in all weather and as a result, you don't know that your battery is getting weak. As a result, you come out one morning and it's totally gone instead of giving you a hint for a month....

I change mine every 5 years, minus a year for every time it gets deep-discharged, which has only been a couple of times over the last 10-15 years.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I was amazed that the original OEM batteries in our Ford Contours were still working flawlessly after 7 years in Minnesota, and one of them had been discharged to dead a couple of times. Our cars live outdoors all winter. There is no longer room in my garage for one car, much less two. (I have a very rare wife!) I replaced them with batteries from the Ford dealer. They were about $10 more than most aftermarket batteries, less than some from Sears.

Reply to
Don Foreman

blush...well...I do have a rather underutilized 1" water pump somewhere in the stacks of stuff. I got it from a guy who was going to use it for a fire pump, using his swimming pool as a reseviour, until he discovered the electric motor was 3 ph. I suspect it came out of the oil fields.

Never even fired it up. Not a lot of call for it here in the desert. Though..I suppose I could use the pressure washer..still need a nozzle/gun assembly for it. It too is 3ph, but I can handle that...

Gunner

Gunner Asch

You dont have a vacuum sealer????? What the $%&^!! kind of survivalist are you???

Somebody slap him..hard!!

Btw...I got another tank of welding gas during the week, another freebe....guy gave me a 125CF tank filled with

2.5-CO2/7.5-Argon/90-Helium (for stainless steel I think).

As my son, the daughter in law and grand baby are living here now..I decided to have a bit of fun with them...so I dug through my Stuff and found an old Fiesta pack of resiviour tipped ribbed condoms, and filled a bright pink one with the gas...DAMN you can really blow them up! and tied string to one end..and carried it into the house tonight and gave it to the 18 month old grand baby. She loves balloons...and was toddling around the house with it. I went back outside and was working in the shop below an open window when it suddenly dawned on the kids what the balloon was.....

The old man still manages to mess with the kids heads pretty good sometimes

Gunner

Gunner Asch

"Yeah. And they make sure that their wives and daughters have jumper cables and know how to use them safely. "

why do you assume that everyone with a uterus is an idiot??

FYI .... I just finished installing a rebuilt transmission in MY car which by the way saves us about $1200.

Keep your sexist comments to yourself please...

Reply to
handysmurf