"Nobody Beats Harbor Freight on Quality and Value"

Subject line quoted from their latest ad. ROTFLMAO

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Damn, I guess with the political season in full swing they thought they (harbor fright) could try floating a real whopper and no one would call them on it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:21:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo Lichtman" quickly quoth:

To each their own, Leo.

I have dozens of their handtools which honor that sentiment. When I needed something which had to last and was used heavily daily, I bought a Bosch Impactor. But HF's little power tools (and a hell of a lot of hand tools) have a big space in my shop and work truck. I use them all happily for a long time. Hell, I don't use a hammer that much ("screw it" is my motto) but I much prefer the $2.49 20oz HF waffle-faced framer to a $60 Vaughn.

They still stock some real pieces of shit there at the HF stores, but all it takes is one _look_ to tell that, so one easily avoids them.

I still have the pack of right-angle drill bits I got about 30 years ago, on my first trip into HF in Escondido, CA. I think they're half lead, half weak steel. The first one I tried using bent 90 degrees, right in the middle, instead of breaking. I've never laughed so hard. I keep it for the warm memories.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You're being unfair. That's what they meant by "right-angle drill bits." They were being completely truthful.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

They didn't say whether the quality was high or low though, did they? :)

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:59:23 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

The package actually said "13 Piece Twist Drill Set". ;)

Oh my Buddha! I just got the package out and it appears that I had inadvertently dissed China and HF. This was from a Handyman store and is clearly marked "Made in Japan", back in the days that Japanese stuff was crap. My apologies to China and HF.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think they got it half right. I have not bought much from Harbor Freight that was not worth what I paid. It is often not the best quality, but acceptable quality for the price.

Sometimes the quality is excellent even though the price is low. I bought a 12 by 40 monocular made in Russia that was of excellent quality and only cost about $20.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Do you have their item number handy, per chance?

Reply to
Ignoramus24794

On Sep 12, 6:36=A0am, Ignoramus24794

I do not think they still have them. I wanted to buy another one and could not find them.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:36:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus24794 quickly quoth:

I just looked for the number on my birch Belarussian scope and there is none. I think HF discontinued them anyway. They're not coming up in a search there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The "Pittsburgh Professional" wrenches are first class and priced at a great value.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:55:17 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Richard J Kinch quickly quoth:

Yeah, their Pittsburgh stuff is well built and lives up to the quality of a real lifetime guarantee. You won't be taking many things back for replacement.

I'm glad they're unlike the Searz Crapsman warranty, where you fight for each piece you get replaced each week, after something or other breaks. Warranties like that are worthless.

Reply to
Larry Jaques