Not so tall bridgeport type mills?

Hello All:

I'm looking to buy a vertical mill. I'd like a bridgeport except that the ceiling in my shop has some low areas about 76" or so. Are there any similarly built mills that are only this tall? Also, do any of you know of used mill sellers in the Seattle area?

Thanks, Bri

Reply to
Bri

I rarely see a week go by when the Little Nickel online "heavy equipment and tools" section doesn't have a nice mill. However, many mills are BP clones and will be just about as tall. Examples:

"BRIDGEPORT 2HP, V-DRIVE 9X42, power feed, R-8 $2,950; Kondia V-Mill, 9X42, 2HP, power feed, R-8, belt drive $2,300 425-432-9891* ? Posted: 6/9/2005 New ? Location: Maple Valley, WA

BRIDGEPORT MILL, COMPLETE with tooling, locking vise, phase conversion, R8 collet set, boringhead, good condition, $3,250 OBO. 253-884-9379 or 360-731-3589 leave message ? Posted: 6/9/2005 New ? Location: Lakebay, WA

Start with

Note that a Bridgeport packed up for moving isn't that tall or wide either after you take the table off. So if you have *a* spot in your basement where one will fit then you can most likely get it there. See:

My hand's about 72" off the ground in that picture, and the mill is at *least*

8" off the ground.

For current Seattle area metal resources, see Bob Powell's list:

Also might check out the Yahoo! group seattle_metalheads, never know ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Many importers (eg. Enco, Jet, Grizzly) sell a scaled-down Bridgeport clone with an 8 x 36" table. It is about 6.5' tall.

Reply to
AL

I was in a similar situation last year, my garage ceiling is 78" and there is no way I can fit a turret mill in there. I ended up buying an Elliot Sturdimill 1250 Universal with a vertical attachment, it's 72" tall and fits nicely. Any horizontal + vertical mill is likely to fit in the space you have, but you may have to forgo the convenience of a quill on the vertical head. BTW, the Sturdimill was sold in the US under the Southbend name. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Bri Check out the mill in e-bay # 7521890113 I have a Index model 40 and it is about 2/3 the size of a Bridgeport and is

77" tall over the motor. The 55 is about the same size but a bit newer. I question whether the spindle is Morse, more likely B&S but still a good mill. It would take more than $1200 to separate me from mine. lg no neat sig line
Reply to
larry g

Bridgeport made a "pancake motor" model where the mill is full sized, but the motor is much shorter. I forget how tall they are, but it might work. I knew one guy who had just enough room in his shop for a mill if he cut a hole in the ceiling for the drawbar to go into when it was all the way up...

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I checked out a web site that indicates that this mill only came with B&S or R8. Maybe there is an adapter or something?

larry g wrote:

Reply to
Bri