OCS's and chisel plows

Me lazy. Me use preformed eye. Then I found a nice crooked (I think it was Madrone) branch to fit it, angled out to let the maul clear my hand.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think everything I've ever tempered has been at that straw color.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I probably would have done the same thing, had I stumbled across the deal you did. You suck. Carry on!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wrong , I slurp .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Remember the $600 rental fee?

Hey, I never said I could afford one. If I could, I'd have one by now.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Honey is going for premium prices nowadays.

At least for yourself, eh?

Check eBay pricing on extractors. I picked up a smoker and toolset in case I ever start raising bees. They fascinate me.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Know nuthink!" about British International but one had to be a man before power steering on any of 'em. The little WD45 was bad enough, the old Twin City steel wheel was nearly impossible to get out of a furrow in the sand out here. It was relegated to the equipment line by the time I was working in fields but it still ran and used it some for spot duty. Even around the farmstead on hard ground was all I could do to turn it at all at age 12 or so...

Reply to
dpb

Don't we all, whenever possible?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The old Massy was easy to turn compared to the 540. We had a big counterweight on the back, but you still pretty well had to have the bucket on the ground to turn the front wheels. The Massy was something like 8 or 10 turns lock to lock, from what I remember, and the 540 and the B414 were closer to 6

Reply to
clare

Oh you're one cunning linguist , you are !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

When I was 10-12 and started driving, we had two old Massey-Harris's (about 50 hp) and a JD D-model popping johnny. They were all bears at that age. Especially the first time over a cut over rice field. I remember pulling a 3-bottom plow once, never used one again.

I once broke two of the hub mounting bolts on a Case 932 (row crop version) when I fell in some ruts from a stuck JD 5010. The whole damned tractor with its Taylor-Weigh (sp?) disc-plow spun 90 degrees and dropped in the ruts. No way out but to follow them out.

When I came out the other end, I noticed the left wheel precessing in a big arc. We fixed that, then the next day, the front wheels rotated under because the row crop clamps weren't up to cut over rice field duty. My great uncle Bill (same guy who made the awful Austin lawnmowers) welded them solid with nickel rod.

The next day he got to apply the same treatment to the arms on the splined sockets on top the front wheel spindles. This was on one measly 26 acre field. Took a week counting the repairs. Never underestimate the havoc cutting a field wet can create.

Pete Keillor

(above formatted for Lloyd :))

Reply to
Pete Keillor

You bet! (I smiled, while licking my eyebrows, and she giggles) I seldom wash afterward, either. I like her scent on my mustache.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Took off the front axle on the 540 hitting a groundhog hole hidden by a windrow of hay- - -

Reply to
clare

What type of equipment do you have now?

3 or 4 blades might be a bit optimistic unless you have an unusually low first gear, 4wd, a lot of ballast, and light soil.

If you have a rake you might be able to make a bolt on a plow with a leaf spring (other other suitable vertical bar) and a plow point bought cheap off Ebay. Turn the rake bar over or remove the tines.

I did rough bed shaping for a winter garden with my rake by just removing (turning over) most of the rake tines leaving 4 in the middle and 3 on each end. Even with my 4wd 30HP John Deere it would spin tires if I didn't lift the rake slightly at the end of the rows when the tractor came up over the berm.

Next time I till and shape the garden I'm going to try 3 plow points set in front of the rake and 8-10 inches below the tines. Yes, bought off Ebay and mounted to leaf springs as verticals. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe