old compressor - W.R. Brown, Chicago

Anyone know anything about such a unit? I hope I have the initials right (it's not in front of me). The motor is non-operational, easily replaceable, but before I go firing it up, I'd like to know if it needs to be lubricated (no obvious places to do this). When I turn the pulley by hand, and more so in one direction then the other, it pops or farts lol. I take it this is a good sign.

What kind of compressor is it.

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:41:04 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor

quoth:

Air. <bseg>

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

it's a small compressor. The compressor proper is about 10" tall, 6" diameter. The motor does nothing. I can bolt a new motor on, but before I fire it up I want to perform any necessary maintenance. I plan to use it for cleaning, and airbrushing. It's probably noisy though.

if the motor does nothing, there is a chance that the problem is correctable easily. Maybe it is not wired right or some such.

like I said, I'll probably just toss the motor. Not sure if it had capacitors or not, but I'll check that. I have other motors readitly available. I was led to believe that this would be a standard 1725 rpm or whatever. What do you mean by "slow"? I'll check it for the oil plugs. Not likely a unit of this size would generate enough pressure when connected to an air gun to say clean out old electronic power supplies and whatnot? Is the popping/farting a good sign?

replying to Chris, JCarmen wrote:

Hi Chism, I just stumbled upon a W.R.Brown V type of air compressor today also. It turns over by hand and is a oil less type of unit. If you can't find any oil plugs on the housing then your,s is oil less too. I'm gonna run a 3450 RPM one and a half horse motor on it, should be interesting :)

A little more info would be helpful - in that "the motor is non-operational" really isn't enough. Motor completely dead, hums, turns slowly, smokes, spits sparks, what? Ken.

The brand is unimportant. I assume that if it is old, that it is a piston compressor with reed valves. Most of these had 2 cylinders side by side, a reed plate on top, and an oil sump in the bottom. The crank was driven by a large, heavy combination fan/flywheel turned by a slow RPM motor. There should be a round sight glass or a plug about 2" off the bottom and another one lower. This is where the oil is splashed onto the crank bearings by a dipper blade. The bottom plug is to drain the crankcase, the upper plug is the fill line.

The reason many are asking you about the motor, is that it is very possible that the capacitor is out. The motor that was on it should have one or two "lumps" on the outside of the case. The high voltage capacitors that are in these lumps typically cost less than $10 and are easy to replace. If it just hums, make sure you are plugging it into the correct voltage. Most of these required 220V, some could be wired either way. Check the motor plate, a 220 wound motor will just hum with 110 (but it won't hum long). If you have to replace the motor make sure about rotation. The flywheel should have a direction arrow on the casting.

___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

replying to Chris, Darrelle wrote:

I have one from my late grandpa. I'm trying to find out how much it is worth I have the model #