Onan DJE generator starting problem

I am a new proud owner of a used Onan DJE 1 phase 6 kw diesel 1800 rpm generator. It is a civilian version, even though it is military surplus. I bought it from the military and brought it home today (along with a truckload of other stuff).

Today's pictures are at:

It is a cutie, and not big at all. Approximately 4 feet long. It does not have a fuel tank, however, I own a plastic 25 gallon moeller tank that I will attach to the genny provided that I can see it run. It weight approximately 500 lbs. (WAG) It looks like the perfect doomsday survivalist generator.

There is no hourmeter on it.

I know the following about it:

- The manual fuel pump lever pumps something

- The crankshaft spins when I spin it manually, with varying degree of difficulty depending on the piston position, at times quite hard. It makes sounds like "ouch", which again I interpret as good things related to valves opening.

- When I connect a battery to two reasonably placed contacts, and turn the START switch, a loud click is heard and then nothing.

- When I connect the battery to the starter directly, it spins, but does not engage the gear that should spin the crankshaft. I _suppose_ that this is evidence of me incorrectly connecting the battery. Is that right? It could also be evidence of solenoid not providing the contact, but would be unlikely given that I do hear a loud click.

So, it seems that things are not that bad. All I need to know is whether I am on the right track with starting. I have some manuals, that I am going to consult now.

Thanks!

Ignoramus4824

I am not sure about genny starters but to me it sounds like the bendix is not engaging, replace starter I would say. But that sure does look the beaut!!!!!

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Do you know if this is a 12V system? If it's 24V, you'd probably get those symptoms...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

It's probably a 24 volt starter and needs more power than one car battery would have anyway. Try two batteries and check if it's 12 or 24 volt.

Reply to
Robert

Reply to
RoyJ

No, it is definitely a 12v starter, it says so right on the engine cover.

Ignoramus4824

It says so on the engine cover...

Ignoramus4824

That is possibly true. If I connect + to the starter's main contact, it spins.

Ignoramus4824

I have a little diesel generator that runs all day long just about everyday. I assume you have a compression release if you can spin the crank manually, so I would try opening the release and trying it. Also see if your hot lead goes to the start switch and to solenoid. (one pulls the solenoid in, the other, heavier, provides the hot to the starter once its pulled in, at least on mine).

Reply to
Forger

Thanks. There is no compression release on this engine, and no means to crank it manually.

I will indeed trace connections a little bit. Does the switch energize what it should? That's a good question.

Ignoramus4824

Vaughn, thanks!

I moved the lever that goes from starting solenoid to the starter, with a scredriver using it as a lever. It was apparently stuck. Once it got freed up, the engine cranked beautifully. Since there is no fuel lines yet, it obviously would not run. That's the next thing that I need to work on, fuel.

Ignoramus4824

Not exactly what I was talking about, but GREAT!

Tomorrow; smoke and noise!

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

Yep!

Yes, I will need to buy appropriate adapters for fuel lines. A question. Can I use clear transparent vinyl tubing? With it, it will be more apparent whether there if fuel in lines etc.

Then, I will need to check the genset proper (voltage and load), and also make a carriage of sorts for it. I will get a feel for vibration level. I have two flexible onan mounts, will need two more. Any thought on how I can buy or make them cheaply.

Ignoramus4824

THere are transparent and translucent fuel lines. They are not made from vinyl. Buy the correct tubing at your local truck parts place.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Question. What was your winning bid?

I may have to start attending mill surplus auctions. :-)

Reply to
N9WOS

What about Autozone?

I have another question. I need to fit a fuel line and return line into an opening of a 25 gal Moeller plastic tank. Can I buy some sort of soft, cork like material in which I would make holes and fit everything snugly into the tank opening?

I could, I guess, use regular cork, is that right.

Thanks.

Ignoramus4824

Why not stop by a boat store and get a real fuel tank?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

What is unreal about my fuel tank? Just curious, I am not claiming that I know best. It seems like a simple polyethylene tank with a fuel sender and all.

I like that it has a straight, rectangular shape, it will fit into a generator base nicely.

Ignoramus4824

Is the fuel tank required to accept the fuel not used by the injectors, like so many diesel do?? There mught be some conditions of use where the tank gets pretty warm.

Jerry Martes

What the H**L is that spark plug in the bottom center and right pictures? Is that really a glow plug to preheat intake air for starting? Ah, yes, "heater switch", I see it on the control panel.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson