Opportunity to get free South Bend 9" Lathe

I've got an opportunity to get a south bend 9" lathe with 36" bed. It was working when it was put outside with a tarp over it. The tarp ripped and it's rusted.

Is it worth my time to pick it up and rebuild it? How much do you think it would cost to rebuild it?

Reply to
tillman.stevens

This is the kind of thing I absolutely cannot resist. If it hasn't been outside for too long, the rust won't be all that bad, but of course the bed could have been worn before it went under the tarpaulin. But I'd grab it for sure. Free stuff is always more satisfying that stuff you pay money for!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks for the feedback. My dad was a GREAT tool and die maker back in the 70's and 80's. He's gone now and I was bitten by the woodworking bug a few years ago and now seem to have gotten bitten by the metalworking bug (still love wood too).

Unfortunately, I didn't really have an interest in metalworking while dad was alive and don't really have substantial knowledge in the area. This will be my first lathe, metal or wood (haven't really needed a lathe in the woodshop yet). I'm looking forward to trying to rebuild it and then making some chips.

Reply to
tillman.stevens

Thanks for the feedback. My dad was a GREAT tool and die maker back in the 70's and 80's. He's gone now and I was bitten by the woodworking bug a few years ago and now seem to have gotten bitten by the metalworking bug (still love wood too).

Unfortunately, I didn't really have an interest in metalworking while dad was alive and don't really have substantial knowledge in the area. This will be my first lathe, metal or wood (haven't really needed a lathe in the woodshop yet). I'm looking forward to trying to rebuild it and then making some chips.

Reply to
tillman.stevens

Reply to
Ray Field