OT demons in my 'puter

I've had a program take over my internet explorer. This web site launches EVERY time I open IE, (I edited this so it wouldn't post as a link and get some other poor sap) I keep changing my opening page but it just changes right back. The tool bars are also changed everytime. I'm also getting many many pop up and pop under windows every time I launch IE

I've run a program called spybot - no help.

Any other suggestions to kill this nuisance?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Try running AdAware. Install the program, run the update procedure to get the latest definitions and then scan your machine. It and SpyBot compliment each other.

If that doesn't work, go to Trend Micro and run HouseCall online virus scan.

If you haven't already disabled cookies in IE I suggest you do it; cuts down on spyware significantly.

Also take a look at Mozilla Firefox instead of IE. The price is right ...free. VERY similar look and feel to IE and seems to be much less suceptable than IE to various net vermin. It includes a popup blocker at least as good as the Google Toolbar.

keith bowers

If you are using XP SP2 should fix it.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

That might be a spyware program calls CoolWebSearch. It's really nasty and newer versions are nearly impossible to remove. Try using a program called CWSShredder. Then get all your Windows Updates.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Mozilla

Reply to
ATP

Searching Google you'll find some info on getting rid of it.

good luck, it may be a pain in the butt.

Kingfish

Reply to
Kingfish

you are evidently not using Spybot=Search and Destroy.

It tends to kill things like this dead.

Also try Adaware.

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Mozilla (suite) or Firefox is definitely the only way to go.

Reply to
asdf

spyhunter ? Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

First, use Spybot S&D with the latest. Sophos is the best AV out there and it's free if you're willing to download it every month or so. I hear rumor that a number of the other spybot types use Spybot's data and they are being sued. The next is to clean your registry. Just do some searches in the regestry for keywords like "iwantsearch" and edit them out. Do not fear the registry...better back it up though.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I don't know much about demon exorcism, but I'll add my voice in favor of Mozilla or Firefox. Mozilla is the whole nine yards, email, browser, etc, while Firefox is just the browser. They work great, have good popup blockers and don't fall for all the stuff IE does.

You can read glow>I've had a program take over my internet explorer. This web site launches

Reply to
Steve Smith

Gunner wrote: Spybot=Search and Destroy.

These two have been recommended by computer support people at work and my son. He also uses AVG antivirus. It has a free version. Try Google to find them.

Reply to
randy replogle

Try this site.

Unknown

After only 8 hours of doing everything on this list, I think I'm back to where I was before the demon invasion. Except, now, I have a "Welcome screen" at windows startup. When I turn on the 'puter it gets to this screen and waits for me to click on my user name before booting the rest of the way. I find this to be a PITA as I like to turn on the 'puter, go make coffee, and come back to read my email. Waiting in front of the machine is a waste of time. How do I get rid of this?

NOTE: I had just upgraded to Office XP before this mess. I guess this is the source of the latest problem. It was also doing this when the screen saver kicked in, I cleared a check box under screen saver to stop it here.

NOTE2: This machine has slowed down to a total snail. It will just sit there for 15 minutes during startup, don't know what its doing.

Thanks, everybody, for all the help.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Reply to
Ron Moore

Just how careful should we be??? It seems unlikely Microsoft would wipe out some functionality of Win XP with a patch.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Seems to me that it's time to shrug your shoulders and get down to a wipe and re-install. Have you a second hard drive? Load the stuff you want to keep on a second drive, and do the complete clean install on the OS drive (yech, I know) after formatting. Either that, or it's time to become real familiar with the registry.

In the face of all the knowlegable everywhere, I must admit that I still look to one of the magazines that I picked up at the grocery store for finding my way around my OS's when I must. Easy Computing or something like that, just a compilation of tips and simple stuff like how to opt out of being second guessed by the OS when you want it to do something. Probably the best ten bucks I ever spent on my computer.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Robert, It's not so much XP that's impacted but many applications are not "ready" for the new SP. I've received several "E's" from SBC regarding their software and SP2. A friend had many problems before removing it. As I said, BE CAREFUL. Respectfully, Ron Moore

PS: How many "patches" has Microfoft produced that caused even more errors. Some test> Just how careful should we be???

Reply to
Ron Moore

All the applications I use seem to be working OK. I have heard of people having problems, though.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

I use Firefox, and I like it.

The Mozilla folks also brought out Thunderbird for News and Emails. I still prefer seperate programs..Eudora for email and Agent for News..but Thunderbird is quite powerful and if you can use Outleak Exploder, you will have no problems with Thunderbird..plus it has an import function that will pull in all your old saved mail, addresses etc from OE.

Try it, its free of course.

Gunner