OT: How to boot Windoze95 in safe mode

GGGGGRRRRRRR....I added some memory to my old 586 Doze box. Booted fine and saw the memory. Now 5 day later, it won't recognize my boot password or BIOS password. I can't get into BIOS to reset the passwords. Is it just a CMOS battery thing? How do I boot to safe mode with the passwords locked out? Thanks JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

Replace the battery first. You may need to remove it and leave it off the motherboard for a while. Last time I had this happen to me, I removed the battery and let it sit overnight. Replaced the battery and all was well.

Good luck.

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Reply to
Roy J

Your CMOS batt is toast and its corrupted your CMOS. Depending on the style battery (some of the older ones use a 3.6vt nicad, others use the big "watch battery" ones. The older MBs may require the battery to be pulled (some have a jumper for this) and up to

24 hours before the CMOS to drain out, though most will default in less then a minute.

Unless you have kids or other varmints..there is seldom any reason to turn security on in your setup menu, and it stops this sort of thing from happening. Security is better performed by the software, if you need it.

I keep several of the 3.6 nicads in my service truck at all times, as many of the older PC based cnc machines use that style. I usually wind up replacing them after a long holiday when the plant is shut down for more than weekend. Btw..unless you turn off the computer..once you have set the settings, they will remain in effect. I seldom ever turn off any of my computers. Shrug. "A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden." Strider

Reply to
Gunner

I wonder how he keeps his pants up with all his pockets full of horseshoes...

Reply to
John Ings