OT: Looking for RHD vehicle in WA state

...for use as a postal delivery vehicle. Please let me know if you know of one for sale. Will look at all under $5000, running or not.

email me at: lane at copperaccents dot com

thanks lane

Reply to
lane

JR North

About 99.9% of vehicles here in WA are RHD

My tractor is mid drive, one seat, one steering wheel in the middle.

I believe that US home mailboxes are in the street, ours have to be within the property line so the postie goes up the driveway to the mailbox. I live outside the town and mail is delivered to Golden Bay & Secret Harbour by a contractor, he whinges about those idiots who put them on the wrong side "because they look better there", as he has to travel 25km from the mail centre and uses a car for safety. In the cities, mail is usually delivered by a postie on a 50cc Honda motorbike, up one side of the footpath, down the other. Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Reply to
alan200

If you are looking for a RHD postal delivery vehicle what about one of those Jeeps that the Post Office had in huge quantities. They were RHD. They are dirt cheep because they were only

2 wheel drive and no one wanted a RHD vehicle.

Pete.

Reply to
Peter Reilley

The other WA!

Reply to
lane

The operative word is "HAD". I've called the post office, and looked in every classified ad I can get my hands on.

Reply to
lane

When I was driving British made cars I know that the bodywork had blanking plates over on the right hand side of the firewall where the steering wheel and pedals could be fitted if the car was to be sold in the UK. Since they drive on the left in Japan too, you might check on the possibility of converting a Japanese made car (not a US assembled Japanese car). You'd need a different steering rack, but the rest of it might move over fairly easily.

Reply to
John Ings

I've seen several rural route carriers around here driving fairly late model RHD Subaru wagons. A quick search turned up this, for whatever it's worth:

David

Reply to
David Courtney

Yes, I've seen that site already. Looking for something cheaper and local if it is at all possible. Lane

Reply to
lane

The old AM General DJ-5 Dispatcher is still available out there, you can find an old one from a southern state with a good body and put in a rebuilt drive train - they're drop-dead simple.

There was also a Subaru Legacy Wagon RHD available by special order in the USA through the 1999 model year, but it has been discontinued. The page I found

says "Call

1-800-SUBARU3 and bug them to start building them again."

They were $17,690 new in 1999, you may be able to find a used one - but I'll bet if they've given up on keeping it, and didn't sell it to the next holder of the RR contract, what's available to buy may be in pretty ratty shape.

If you can bite the bullet and buy new, try these guys:

They're building the latest Postal LLV trucks now, perhaps they can get permission to sell them directly -
-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

How about installing a conversion kit on an existing vehicle? For example:

Reply to
Charles Erskine

Lane-contact me by e-mail. I may be able to help

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I got your email and have responded with questions. Thanks

Reply to
lane

Yes I've seen these and it is an option. I could even do it myself without buying the kit I think. However I don't currently own a vehicle that I could do this to. My wife's car is out of the question and I drive a 4x4 PU that wouldn't work. So I'd have to buy a vehicle anyway, hence my looking for one that I wouldn't have to convert or drive from the right seat like some postal people do. I don't understand how they can have adequate and safe control over a vehicle from the right hand seat, with your left foot operating the pedals and left hand stretched all the way over to the left side. I know it is done all the time, but I'm not wanting to go that route unless I have to. And I can't afford a newer vehicle. Hence my search.

Lane

Reply to
lane

What colour was it?

I sold a RHD Morris Minor near Seattle with a 4AGE Toyota engine. 1600cc twin cam, good for thrills.

Trev.

Reply to
Trevor Alvey

Reply to