OT: Outside Diameter of a Colt 1911 Recoil Spring?

Does anyone know the Outside Diameter of a Colt 1911 Recoil Spring?

Thanks in advance for any help,

JW

Reply to
James Williams

since no one has responded, let me offer that the spring on my Star .45 "commander" is .44". but that would not be a useful figure for the exact measurment of a 1911A1, if there is such a thing. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Hi James,

About 30 years ago I used to fire one of those things in the military. I don't know the dimension you seek, but maybe hit on or call one of these sources below. I doubt you could get in touch with the armory at the Seabee base in Gulfport, Mississippi, but if you could, those guys would know.

Alan =3D=3D=3D Old Western Scrounger Ammunition for obsolete antique and collectable hunting ammunition

=3D=3D=3D Yahoo! Groups : theworldsmilitarysmallarms
=3D=3D=3D rec.guns FAQ Home Page
=3D=3D=3D Google Search: Colt 1911 Recoil Spring
=3D=3D=3D Google Search: Colt 1911 Recoil Spring+diameter Address:
=3D=3D=3D Real Guns - Building and using a recoil spring tester (eveything BUT the diameter!)
=3D=3D=3D Google Search: Colt .45 1911+recoil spring+diameter dimension
=3D=3D=3D The Sight's M1911 .45 ACP Page
=3D=3D=3D The M-1911 Pistols Home Page
=3D=3D=3D The M-1911 Pistols Home Page

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D re:

OT: Outside Diameter of a Colt 1911 Recoil Spring? Group: rec.crafts.metalworking Date: Wed, Aug 20, 2003, 1:00pm From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (James=A0Williams) Does anyone know the Outside Diameter of a Colt 1911 Recoil Spring? Thanks in advance for any help, JW

Reply to
Music Man

My stock outer spring is .437. The inner..never mind, you probably dont have one.

Gunner

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Ben Franklin

Reply to
Gunner

I have a copy of the Army drawing for the spring, (5013200) it states a OD of coil as "0.430 +/- .005", it also states "hole dia into which spring fits freely .448 min", dia of wire is ".043". Load is given at two points, compressed to 3.72 inches load is 8.00lbs +/- 0.50lb, compressed to 1.81 inches load is 13.55lb +/- 0.60lb. Interesting, as it conflicts with the general wisdom of a "16 lb" spring as being standard. Spring rate is given as "2.88 lb/in ref". Steve

Reply to
Steve Steven