[OT] oxyacetylene torch kit -- Is it a Victor?

I was wondering if anyone can help me...

I decided to get into oxyacetylene welding, so I just bought a torch that was advertised explicitely as a Victor torch. I bought it because I heard a lot of good things about Victor torches.

When I picked it up, I noticed that the regulators had the name "Pro Line" on them. Doing some research, I've been able to confirm that it isn't made by the original Victor company. From what I've been able to piece together, Pro Line is a subsidiary company of Victor.

Can anyone tell me the scoop on this Pro Line torch? Is it really a Victor torch? Or is it a knockoff, of lesser quality? Is it worth keeping, or should I try to go back to the seller?

Thanks,

- Jamie

Jamie

Proline is part of the Firepower consumer grade stuff. If you paid for Victor and got Proline they got the gold mine and you got the shaft ..

see

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Find out what you have, and if Grant is right (and I'll bet he is) and they sold you cheap crap and said it's the premium equipment, they owe you your money back - or they owe you the Victor torch and regulator kit you paid for.

If they try to ignore you, come back here for ideas - there are many other solutions to escalate the issue. (Evil Grin.)

For Openers, save copies of all ads, web pages and correspondence - Victor might be VERY interested to know someone's using their name to scam people that "It's a subsidiary of Victor"...

If you JUST did this, put a stop-payment on the check or put the credit card charge into dispute - NOW. Then call the seller back and work it out, you can always call the bank and let the charge go through if the seller does the right thing.

If they are real crooks, once they get the money it might be the last you ever hear of them.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Actually, I don't think it falls into one of the three that Grant mentioned. I think this particular kit may have come around just before the 3 way split.

I found some other people selling the same kit I bought on ebay. Here is one of the ads:

And here is the ad for the actual item that I purchased (Titled "Victor Welding & Cutting Outfit":

The actual manual in the kit doesn't say anything about it being a Firepower, or Professional. It's a slightly different animal. Any idea what this is?

Thanks -

- Jamie

Jamie

$130 is about retail for that item if you buy it at a brick-and-mortar store. You obviously now know you could have gotten it cheaper. Think of it as you paid $65 for the torch set and $65 for a lesson in doing your research first. Buying on CL is like buying at a yard sale. Any post-recrimination isn't productive, it's yours now. Might as well try it out.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin