OT Roofing query

I need to use a roofing contractor to replace a roof.Is stapling just as good as nailing?And do they still use nails today?

Reply to
ED RADZIEWICZ

Properly applied staples are about as good as nails. But poorly applied staples are much worse than poorly applied nails. Typical problem is that the staples are over driven, make a nice slot in the shinge, just lift right off. In any high wind area (tornado, stright line wind from thuderstorms, sea coast, and hurricane areas) the roof will lift off in large sheets. As a result, many jurisdictions require nails rather than staples. Plus many of the shingle warranties require nails rather than staples.

The coil roof> I need to use a roofing contractor to replace a roof.Is stapling just as

Reply to
RoyJ

Go with nails. Had to replace several pieces on a stapled roof after a recent high wind. They tear through, leaving a rectangular hole in the roofing. There are nail guns for roofing nails. A little bulkier than a staple gun, but they work fine.

Reply to
Bill Marrs

I agree, go with nails. But I will point out that it IS possible to overdrive nails as well.... I would take a look after they get started.....Unless they hand nail.... :)

Jeff

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

Reply to
RoyJ

If you are putting down plywood, staples are the way to go. A two inch long staple will hold as well as a nail and will not split any rafters. For the shingles, nails are better with less chance of damaging the shingle. Also, some shingle mfgrs. will not guarantee a stapled shingle.

John

Reply to
john

Nailing is better. Pneumatic nail guns work OK if the deck is relatively uniform. On old tongue and groove sheathing it's hard to maintain a consistent flush nailhead with a gun.

Reply to
ATP*

I'd go with nails. They can drive them with an air gun.

The few times (disclaimer) I've stripped a roof, it was much easier to remove stapled roofing than nailed.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Reply to
Mike Berger

Our local code (extracted and enhanced version of the Southern Building Code) has this to say:

1) Staples hold into the substrate better than nails (at least glue-coated ones, and most are). I'm guessing this is probably because they don't split wood as badly, so they get a better bite near edges, etc. 2) Staples pull through thin materials like roofing easier. In fact, very easily. 3) Staples are allowed, only if re-inforcing washers - tin disks - are used on top of roofing materials, AND they are not over-driven. Same for nails, though.

I've seen roofers in our area use both nails and staples. When they were using staples, most risked fingers by slapping disks down and stapling by eye. I'd guess that would be risky if you lost your rythym. Some guys had high-end roofing staplers that auto-dispensed tape-collated disks... cool!

Most of the siding guys around here use staples -- and of course, without tin disks (where would you put them???). But my read on that is that once siding is properly lapped and joined, there's minimal possibility of "flapping" that might tear out a joint. A shingle, on the other hand, relies only on the seal-down tabs for support on the "wind" end. We see those tear up almost every spring, not to mention during the Himacane season.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

If you are in San Francisco, contact me. I've got a great roofer who has done maintenance work for me for the past five years.

Last September I needed a new roof, and new skylights on my home. I did not even bother to get a competing bid. He did a great job.

Reply to
Abrasha

Answer to your question: Nail/stapling guns are used today. I have added a gun to my tools, only used it once in two years but it is a must have tool, I think.. Most are run by air pressure. If you pass new construction site you usually see this combination. AC voltage generation to run AC air compressor with hose connection to the air nail gun. I have seen electrical powered nail gun lately in the big boxes stores. P.S. A headline in the local press last week mention that the ERs in hospitals are seeing a large amount of people with nail guns injuries lately..

Reply to
Bill Cotton