OT: Surveillance camera

I have a friend who is having a problem with someone visiting his 3rd floor balcony, shall we say without his permision. He wants to install an inconspicuous surveillance camera to catch them in the act and find out who it is. He thinks it's occurring after dark so he need day/ night vision or day/IR. He would prefer connecting directly to his computer if possible and reasonably priced. What do you guys suggest? Thanks Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I have the same problem; kids "visiting" my shop/barn at night. They never break into the locked areas, but pilfer odds'n'ends from the open part of the barn.

I bought a really cheap ($69) Motorola "wireless" camera, and re-rigged it for hard-wire (because the "up to 100 feet" spec on the transmitter is really good for about 15' ... duh!). It has built-in IR illuminators for full dark imaging.

I downloaded "HSSVSS Personal Security Camera" freeware, used a standard video-to-USB converter, and now have a very nice motion-detecting, record-on-motion security setup.

Since I installed it (and publically announced same), the only theives I've caught have been the deer who party in my barn every night.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Wireless webcam from Linksys.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hi Karl

A decent USB camera and GOTCHA

will record images in a PC only when the image changes. With GOTCHA, your computer will record an image whenever something enters to change the scene.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

On 14 Feb 2007 03:56:29 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" quickly quoth:

Is $41 reasonable for a 4-channel, color, night-vision system with software which works with his computer system? ;)

- Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap. -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's pretty cool... you can "scare off intruders" with a sound file. I bet that an amplified recording of an angry Rottweiler or 12-gauge pump shotgun chambering a shell would make the rest of the video a lot more entertaining. LOL David

Reply to
David Courtney

I'm a bit curious what he will do with the image once he has it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

A stakeout and a chunk of padded 2x4 hardwood. Unpadded and the coroner will wonder about the dent in his head after the three story fall.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

I should post some of the vids that I have of the cats stalking the night walk-through guards. Or the guards brunging them little treats of chicken or such. Sometimes the cats will just go crazy in front of a camera, I think they know what showmen they are.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I have this camera with a 1 gig SD chip. Beats the self triggering trail cameras the hunters use and is very discrete. Had a relative living in my house temporarily only to discover he had drug issues. Only draw back is it does not have its own IR light source. Found a couple of IR leds from a couple of orphaned TV remotes provided enough background light to give the camera enough for facial recognition.

And yes, the relative is currently enjoying the hosipitality of the state correctional system.

Jim Vrzal Holiday, Fl.

Reply to
Mawdeeb

For IR illumination, check out the Osram "golden dragon":

Available at Digi-Key. This is the "Luxeon" of IR emitters. One of these is equivalent to a whole bunch of 5mm IR LED's.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
JR North

Thanks I'll send the link to this thread to my friend. Thanks Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I have both the HF B&W ($29.99 slightly good at night) the color one is a total flop when the sun goes down - unless they changed it recently. mike

Reply to
nomail

Reply to
JR North