OT: Termites

Way OT, but as is my belief, this group knows the answers.

My garage has termites. The garage is separate from the house. Replaced the back wall. Chased the termite trails until they ran out...which was basically the whole back wall...or enough of the back wall that I just did the whole ting since I was there anyways.

In the old days there was Chlordane...OK, in the old, old days there was a guy who had a drum of DDT, but he's dead....so, in my old days there was Chlordane.....I can't get it (obviously)...so I used what they had at Home Depot. I coated everything....and I mean everything that was wood...then I sprayed (saturated) the ground for 3 feet out from the garage.

I am about to put the new siding up, and wanted to know if anyone had any advice before I proceeded with the reconstruction.

Reply to
Jim Newell

Jim

I know not where you are but we have termites also. The one secret is to use nothing that the termites are attracted to. For me on my shop, it was steel studs, all the way. Then stucco. Then insulation and then wallboard. But first treat the soil with nasty stuff. The local termite folks have the right stuff. For the roof it was steel again with OSB that is treated with nasty stuff. The elastomeric roofing.

For siding use metal siding. Aluminum or steel. We have no rust so steel is no problem. But if I had used steel it would have been galvanized.

Bob AZ Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 03:58:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jim Newell" quickly quoth:

Chlordane was the greatest! When my last house (Vista, CA) was overrun by both flying and subterranean termites, I dug a trench around the house and put in a couple quarts of Ortho-Klor while wearing full clothing, gloves, and my chem-cannistered half-mask respirator. Clorpyrifos is now being phased out.

Subterranean Termite Handbook Online

Treat any wood you put up (or leave up) with borates. Google for Tim-Bor.

P.S: Good luck getting that without a license, too, despite its safe nature.

-- This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it. - John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dump your used motor oil next to any wood that you want to keep termites out...

Reply to
kbeitz

Jim, I live in Phoenix and had one hell of a subterranean termite problem. If you have subterraneans then no amount of surface treatments will stop the attack. You must treat the soil in contact with the footings,if it is slab on grade then holes must be drilled every 12 inches and termiticide injected at the proper rate for the soil type. Sounds complicated but the hard part is drilling 1/2 holes on the perimeter of the house, built my own injector wand and used a carbonator pump to move the fluid. As for the termiticide the only one that i found to work long term (5 years) is Termidore it can be purchased on eBay at a reasonable cost if you do decide to post treat yourself.

Good luck

Reply to
Fillister

Reply to
wayne mak

when I had a similar problem, I replaced the affected wood with green plate - they won't eat that, end of problem

Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

***
Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

What is green plate? Same as pressure treated wood?

Reply to
Jim Newell