OT: The state of American education today?

While reading today's comix, I hit on this one:

"By driving at 100 miles per hour in a car, if it were possible, IT WOULD TAKE MORE THAN 28 YEARS TO REACH THE NEAREST STAR - PROXIMA CENTAURI!"

Well, yeah, significantly more than 28 years - more like 28 MILLION years!

Are Florida teachers unionized?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise wrote: ) While reading today's comix, I hit on this one: )

"By driving at 100 miles per hour in a car, if it were possible, IT WOULD ) TAKE MORE THAN 28 YEARS TO REACH THE NEAREST STAR - PROXIMA CENTAURI!" ) ) Well, yeah, significantly more than 28 years - more like 28 MILLION years!

Quite nearly 28 million years, actually. (By my reckoning it's about 28.3 million years.) So I'm guessing they just dropped that million somewhere.

SaSW, Willem

Reply to
Willem

Yeah, probably a typo rather than pure ignorance. If it were true, existing spacecraft could easily do the distance in a few weeks.

Reply to
Pimpom

I dunno about the accuracy of "typo" here, considering it's hand- lettered. ;-)

But that's probably kinda like "outtakes" in (on? of? from?) an animated cartoon. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Look at the line break after "28." There's more than enough room for "years" after it on that line -- even enough for "million." There was no need for a line break, especially since they hyphenated a word in the next line. That was an editor or graphic artist who screwed it up.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I think they meant 100 *million* miles per hour, if that were possible.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

It would take almost 4x that to reach the nearest star.

Actually, it's often called "Sol".

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It *is* true. It *does* take more than 28 years to get to Proxima Centauri. ;-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

Horace Connelly is retired, so he probably went to school elsewhere. He graduated in 1956, the peak year for SAT performance.

The Orlando Odditorium is 20 miles from his house. Connelly may have confronted the management about the fact, believe it or not, that Robert Leroy Ripley died on the air in 1949. If word got out, what would happen to attendance? I don't know why else the Syndicate would attempt to destroy his credibility by publishing a false factoid.

Reply to
J Burns

Particularly since, even driving at 100MPH, it's unlikely that the car is ever going to leave the surface of the Earth. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Spehro Pefhany:

Rich Grise:

Depends on what you mean "the nearest" *to*.

Reply to
Mark Brader

S. O. L. would do well to answer the subject line.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Actually, I had noticed that myself when I was double- and triple-checking my arithmetic; I just didn't post it. :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It is less a hit on education as it is on whoever proofread the article.

What's a factor of 10^6 to an editor?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

I think they meant "By driving in a car at 100 *million* miles an hour, if it were possible,....".

After all, it is possible to drive in a car at 100 MPH.

Just seems logical to me, and the numbers come out approximately right.

You're welcome, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

John - KD5YI wrote: ) On 3/30/2011 11:09 AM, Rich Grise wrote: )> While reading today's comix, I hit on this one: )>

"By driving at 100 miles per hour in a car, if it were possible, IT WOULD )> TAKE MORE THAN 28 YEARS TO REACH THE NEAREST STAR - PROXIMA CENTAURI!" )>

)> Well, yeah, significantly more than 28 years - more like 28 MILLION years! )>

)> Are Florida teachers unionized? )>

)> Thanks, )> Rich )>

) ) I think they meant "By driving in a car at 100 *million* miles an hour, ) if it were possible,....". ) ) After all, it is possible to drive in a car at 100 MPH. ) ) Just seems logical to me, and the numbers come out approximately right.

Yes, the 'if it were possible' was a big hint. I wonder what the time dilation is at a 100 million miles an hour. After all, it's almost 15% of lightspeed.

SaSW, Willem

Reply to
Willem

You can make the calculations. I'd be interested in your results.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Note that the point of reference is not stated. So, if you choose to answer your own question, take all points of reference into account.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

It's also quite impossible to drive a car through outer space. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I noticed the smiley face this time.