OT Working with Asphalt

I have an asphalt driveway that has always looked horrible. It was put in w hen I built the house in 1998. It is uneven, has cracks, crators, etc.

I have an aspalt batch plant 13 miles away where I can purchase hot mix, lo aded in my trailer for 70 bucks a ton. My idea would be to "skim coat" the driveway with the small aggregate hot batch.

Obviously, I don't have on eof those several ton rollers that the highway d epartment has. The only thing I have is a concrete roller I made for my yar d. (I took one of those concrete form tubes, filled it in concrete with a b ar through the center as an axle, and made an angle iron fram to push it wi th the lawnmower.

I am assuming this would not be adequate. Would renting a vibratory compact or work? Will the hot asphalt "stick" to it just creating a mess?

I was worried about keeping the hot mix hot while traveling 13 miles. The g uy at the plant said it would be no problem. Is this true? Is there some wa y to ensure the stuff stays hot short of purchasing expensive equipment?

I don't have the money to pay someone to tear the driveway out and start ov er and to be honest, contractors for the most part in my neck of the woods are not known for very good work or being reliable. (not all but most I hav e ran into)

I appreciate any help as I have not worked with asphault. My idea is to hau l it home, shovel it on the driveway, use a rake to spread it out evenly an d then compact it.

Is this going to look stupid?????

Reply to
stryped

I built the house in 1998. It is uneven, has cracks, crators, etc.

loaded in my trailer for 70 bucks a ton. My idea would be to "skim coat" the driveway with the small aggregate hot batch.

department has. The only thing I have is a concrete roller I made for my yard. (I took one of those concrete form tubes, filled it in concrete with a bar through the center as an axle, and made an angle iron fram to push it with the lawnmower.

compactor work? Will the hot asphalt "stick" to it just creating a mess?

you need water to keep it from sticking. I have not really fiqured out the secret.

The guy at the plant said it would be no problem. Is this true? Is there some way to ensure the stuff stays hot short of purchasing expensive equipment?

It will stay hot. I had a driveway done and the mix sat in the truck for about 2 hours while they got every thing ready.

start over and to be honest, contractors for the most part in my neck of the woods are not known for very good work or being reliable. (not all but most I have ran into)

Join Angies list. $10.00/yr.

is to haul it home, shovel it on the driveway, use a rake to spread it out evenly and then compact it.

If you haul one ton at a time you will end up with a bunch of small patches. and you will see it looks like a patchwork quilt.

Blacktop has very little strength, under 2" thick it likes to peel up in sheets. at the very least you will need to tar coat the driveway to help it stick.

Concrete is more of a DIY project you can do a section at a time to control cost. 6" thick and it will outlast your kids. unless your driveway gets truck traffic.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

How would you do concrete a section at a time?

Reply to
stryped

[...]

=======

I had some asphalt work done that included a drain which they sculpted by hand with shovels, wide rakes and long-handled rammers. The crew they brought in figured out to about one man per 4-5 square yards. They moved the asphalt mix from the dump truck with wheelbarrows, spread it with rakes and compacted it with a roller a little smaller than a Bobcat.

It did NOT look like a job I could do satisfactorily myself without OJT experience. A neighbor who has worked on a paving crew didn't try do do his own asphalt walk by himself. It's hard enough to rake a large patch of sand smooth without the time pressure.

You might look into "rap", Recycled Asphalt Product, or its ground-up concrete equivalent. I'm told it makes a decent temporary driveway and an excellent base for proper paving later.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I would strongly suggest that you get a reputable driveway paver to come in, apply a "tack coat" i.e. either an emulsion of asphalt and water, or asphalt diluted with solvent spray, then resurface with a fine aggregate topping mix. My driveway was reconstructed in 1997 and, although I have some cracking in the outer couple feet I will wait another ten years before I power wash and fill them, then have it resurfaced. BTW, I have never had it painted (sealed).

Reply to
geraldrmiller

That's simple - you WILL need expansion joints. Crib one section, pour, remove cribbing- crib second section - install tentest or whatever you are using for your expansion joint, pour second section - repeat.

Reply to
clare