Pans for a small Hydraulic press

Looking for some suggested ways to build a small press out of scrap steel and a bottle jack. Need to rebuild a water pump for '35 Buick. I know I could go to a shop but for about the same cost I could build my own press ( I think ) and then have one for other projects.

Thanks for any leads.

Steve E.

Reply to
Steven E. Eyrse

These days, the cheapest solution is usually to go out and buy a Chinese import press. Look at what's available from places like Harbor Freight. It will likely cost more in raw materials to build your own (and more so after you factor in your time). Besides the steel channel and angle, and the bottle jack, you will need return springs, press plates, fasteners, pins, etc.

But if you happen to have all the material on hand and are in search of a project to occupy your time, you can build one. I'd use a commercial unit as a model. Just be very careful with your design and your construction methods: a loaded press under multiple tons of pressure is like a bomb waiting to explode!

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Hi. I would like to second that suggestion. I recently bought a shop press from Harbor Freight. It won't hurt to look around and see what they have to offer. My local store had a 12 ton press on sale for $120, I think it was. I have no clue as to how many tons of force one needs to rebuild a water pump, so that may not meet your needs. They also had a six ton press, as well.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
JWho

I recently put together a diesel genset and had some 4" channel left over from the frame I built. I was trying to figure out what to do with the remaining channel, shop press came to mind.

I looked at numerous models, there is A-frame style and the H-frame (?) model. I choose the latter. Mine is a floor model, about 5ft high and about 22" wide, inside the uprights. I am using a 20 ton bottle jack. Drilling all those holes was a pain, 36 ea. 1" holes. You have to make sure they are all lined up properly, lucky for me I have a background in woodworking, so I made myself a jig and had them knocked out in no time. I used a 1" metal cutting hole saw. Did a few trial holes using a step drilling technique to the 1", would of taken to long to complete.

I have everything cut, drilled and am ready to start the welding of the upper head assembly. I am using 2 pieces of 1/2 plate (total of 1" thick) where the top of the bottle jack will be located and a piece of the 4" channel will support the bottom of the jack. A 2" dia S.S rod will be screwed onto the bottom of the channel and be the ram.

A piece of 2" pipe is welded to the upper 1" plate to keep the bottle jack in place.

Hope to finish it soon, cant wait to -PRESS- it into action!

Reply to
SomeBody

After reading all. Thanks by the way.

The Harbor Freight way is the answer. for $69 I can get a 6 ton which will be enough for anything I need to do myself. I can't buy a 6 ton bottle jack for that. Pep Boys did have a 20 for $ 30.00 but that was just the jack. Also as others have said " getting all the holes to line up " .. Well why go to the trouble if you can get a " kit " .

Shop time to do what I want is going to cost about $70.00 .. I figured $ 80 as I had the rebuild kit bought at a swapmeet years ago for a couple of bucks. Then as I said I'll still have the press to use on other projects.

Steve E.

Reply to
Steven E. Eyrse

Steve, Here is a coupon that might be of interest if you are buying from a HF store (as oppossed to online) :

Art

Reply to
Art

I'd recommend you go with the 12 ton at a minimum. Not only will the extra capacity come in handy (believe me, you'll always come across a job where you'll wish you had a larger or more powerful machine), but for most tasks you'll be able to work standing up (whereas you'll be crouching/sitting on the floor to work with the 6 ton unit). Also, the short 6 ton presses are worthless if you have to press something with a long shaft, like pressing a wheel bearing onto an axle.

Harbor Freight has a 12 ton press for $135:

You might be able to get it cheaper if you're willing to wait for it to go on sale (as they often do).

Another source is Northern Tool, which has a similar 12 ton press for $100:

(I have no idea what their shipping is like though).

Actually, the first place I'd start looking is in the local tool shops in your area (I don't know if HF has a local outlet near you).

Good luck, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

).

Hmmm... Went to the Northern Tool site, noted their contact phone number and looked up the area code 592.... it's in South America! Guyana.... MORE outsourcing of labor it seems. Bill

Reply to
BillP

592 is the *country code* for Guyana. 952 is an area code in frigid Burnsville, Minnesota USofA.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

C'mon, Spef, Burnsville is SOUTH Minneapolis! The compensation for our challenging climate is that we have BOTH Northern Tool and Harbor Freight to visit with our trucks and creditcards -- no shipping!

Reply to
Don Foreman

It's enough to make you want to throw your hat up in the air or something. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks Art. And I think the 12 ton may just be the way.

Steve E.

Reply to
Steven E. Eyrse

Jeesh... I googled the "592 area code" and got the Guyana thing... I sure missed that one and offer appologies!! Thanks Spehro Bill

Reply to
BillP

Well it all worked out just slick. The 12 ton was on sale when I got to the store for $109 $25 off normal. Then with your cupon it took another $20 off. So the unit only came to $ 80.00. Picked it up at

12:30 had it working by 2:00 waterpump rebuilt and everything put away by 4:30 . It has been a good day.

Thanks all .

Steve E.

Reply to
Steven E. Eyrse