Pictures of the 59 year old Quincy compressor

The "00-Reassembly" subdirectory shows pictures of this compressor being reassembled, with new motor installed. I bought this compressor without the motor, although the old motor was fine. (outcome of negotiations and part of why I paid only $200 for this one).

This is a pressure lubricated pump and that is why this compressor is still around.

I had a 10 HP Reliance motor that I installed (it was new in box). The old pulley had a 1.25" bore in the bushing, the Reliance has a 1 3/8" shaft, so I had to bore the pulley bushing.

At the moment, it seems to run and pump air. It is also rather quiet. Presently, I am reusing the pulley off the 7.5 HP motor, and installed a new regulator from 120-145 PSI, so I am not using the full power of it.

I also have a couple of minor problems that I want to look at more closely.

One is that the motor vibrates a lot. I am not yet sure why. One possibility is that I did not bore the bushing properly on-center (did this on a lathe, though), and another is that the belts are old and lost some flexibility. Visually, one belt out of three (the middle one) seems to be "flying up and down" as it rotates, I would expect it to be steadier.

The good test from it would be to disconnect belts, and run the motor with pulley but without belts, and see if vibration continues. If it does, I will know that I did a bad boring job, and will simply buy a new two piece pulley from McMaster.

Another problem is that there is some air leak somewhere in the area where the pressurized air leaves the pump and enters the aftercooler. I am not yet sure where it is. It is minor, but I should have none.

-- Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by more readers you will need to find a different means of posting on Usenet.

Ignoramus24731

Nice looking machine. Looks very solid. Is it replacing your vertical compressor?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

The vertical compressor is already gone.

Reply to
Ignoramus17377

Back in the 1960's, I had a compressor and tank that made the Quincy look brand new. Mine had a 1/2" steel riveted tank. Looked like the Nautilus from 20,000 leagues under the sea.

Reply to
Calif Bill

You'd probably wish you saved some photos of it... I would love to look...

Reply to
Ignoramus17377

Sounds like the belts are not all the same length. Disconnect the pump from the tank and put a single belt on the pulleys and see if all the vibration is gone. A single "V" belt should pull 10 HP. At least it does on rototillers!

Try each belt individually. You will probably find the floppy one is not the same number as the other belts. Your compressor should run forever on two belts. Our 60 gallon 3-phase compressor, two double cylinders, has run off and on daily for 10 years, now. Has only two belts and the only maintenance has been an oil change every three months. No belt adjustments.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

I spoke to our local Quincy dealer rep, whom I have known for a while. Mike said that possibly this is because the pulleys are not exactly in the same plane. Upon returning home, I realized that they are almost 1/2" off plane, but parallel, due me not taking into account that the two part pulley would "pull in" when tightened. I would need to move the motor a little bit etc, should take me a couple of days.

Reply to
Ignoramus17377

Whenever you change belts on a multi-belt install like that, you always change them as a set.

(And two should do, but get three anyway - when one lets go, that a clue to change the others.)

In the old days they used to sell them as factory matched sets, and charge a premium - so people tried to get by and had problems.

Now you just tell the Warehouse you need matched belts when you order - they check the codes to make sure that the belts they send you are from the same day's production run, which should get them very close to perfectly matched.

That will do it - just be lucky it isn't a Multi-Rib style belt, especially the steel belted ones used on industrial gear - they just snap when badly misaligned like that.

Know of an outfit with a fleet of custom built tow tractors that was snapping the belt daily on the "Guinea pig" unit they modified first, and they were waiting to do the rest till they figured out why...

Turns out when they went from a 200A to 300A alternator they were sent the wrong brackets and put the alternator pulley a half inch too far forward. And when the pulleys aren't that far apart, that's a lot of misalignment.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I ordered a motor mount for my 215T motor, as the original Quincy mounts does not fit 215T very well. I should have the mount tomorrow. It was $32 at McMaster.

I rather like those simple belts.

Reply to
Ignoramus17377

Sounds neat. What make was it? I would have liked to have seen it too.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy