Pictures of the Axelson 16x54 lathe

I am seriously thinking about having it rebuilt (meaning reground/refit ways).

Ignoramus3737

Most folks that have use for a lathe in that class are capable of obtaining accurate work from it regardless of a little way wear.

Personally I would suggest leave it alone and advertise locally and on ebay at around 5 grand or so for a few months and see what happens.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Do you have chucks, steady/follow rests and whatnot for it? I'm looking for a bigger/better lathe. The key thing is I want a complete package with chucks and rests and whatnot rather than chasing after parts.

Reply to
Pete C.

Thanks... I think that that is what I will do, indeed.

Ignoramus3737

Unfortunately, no, this is all I have. It needs D1-6 chucks, which are plentiful. No steady or follow rest.

I have a super complete picture Hardinge HLV lathe and a very complete picture Hardinge DV-59, however.

Ignoramus3737

You might paint it. At least for the equipment I use paint is the best investment to sell something.

I bought a large international backhoe for $3500, looked bad, ran good. I used it for a project for about a year. then painted it and sold it after one day on Craig's list for $7000. (I did get caught with a two day repair plus $300 in parts, broke in use)

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I'm not sure of the specs on those, I've been looking at the import

14x40 and 16x60 lathes as possibilities.
Reply to
Pete C.

Those Hardinges are much smaller. They are for little fine work.

Ignoramus3737

Actually, the paint on it looks really great. I think that it is a good selling point, that the original paint looks so good.

How did you paint it? Did you sandblast it or what?

Ignoramus3737

I have a 12x24 now. I'm looking to add a second in the 14x40-16x40 range with camlock spindle with a large bore and all the bits and pieces.

Reply to
Pete C.

This Axelson is a 16x54 with camlock spindle, without bits and pieces that you will probably never need.

Ignoramus3737

No, you want to do a nice job but not overdo it. For cleaning, it was degreaser and pressure washer. Then enough disassembly so the job didn't look cheesy.

We bought a house at auction last year also. We were going to paint and spruce it up to resell. But a fella offered to buy it even before we closed from the auction. We sold it before we bought it.

I'll never make the Iggy class, but buy low and sell reasonable is a nice way to make a few bucks.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Well, I need 3 and 4 jaw chucks, face plate, steady and follow rests and a taper attachment would be nice too...

Reply to
Pete C.

it has a taper attachment

Reply to
Ignoramus3737

Very nice. I always felt about paint, that some people may suspect that I am hiding something. Plus it is time consuming. I admit, though, that it seems to work nicely for you and that I do not know much about painting.

Reply to
Ignoramus3737

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

In other words -- don't do an "Al Babbin" paint job. (Paint over everything, including the ways and the dials on the knobs. :-)

He was infamous as an eBay seller here for a few years -- before you popped up here. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Al Babin is still around....