Pipe feed thru tank wall

I have a water box to collect spring water and pump it out with a horizontal submersible pump. I feed the pump output thru the side of the box to protect it from freezing and accidents. I'm the quick & dirty type, when the water fails the wife wants water back NOW!, so what I have been using is a short 1" pipe with very long threads so I can sandwich the wall with 2 flanges face to face with threads sticking out both ends for connections. This has worked pretty good, although one threaded end has straight threads instead of tapered.

I'm getting ready to replace the tank and have time to do it better this time. What is the best way to feed a water pipe thru a tank wall?

Reply to
Nick Hull

Weld a flange onto the pipe. Works for steel pipe. Use a compression tank connector but bore out the internal shoulder to allow the pipe to go right through. this is better for copper pipe. Route the pipe over the tank wall. That way you avoid any chance of a leak.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Either internet, or in person, visit a boat supply store and get a brass thru (through) hull fitting in the size you need. use a gasket inside the tank. The fittings are also offered in various plastics but don't seem to hold up as well as brass.

John H.

Reply to
Mustmaker

Or a bulkhead fitting. The major difference being thru- hulls have a pipe thread (often male) on one end, the bulkhead fitting will have a female pipe threads on both ends and is generally shorter than a thru-hull.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I went to a local farm supply store got plastic feedthru parts for cattle water tanks. Lots of different sizes available. Used RTV to make sure no leaks.

We used several different sizes to make a cooling system water tank. Has not leaked in 3 years.

Paul, Redmond, OR

Reply to
Paul

You can improvise nicely with stuff from Home Depot.

PVC electrical conduit has straight threads. You can improvise a bulkhead fitting by mating a male and female adapter on either side of the tank. Cut sheet rubber to make a gasket, or adapt a tub drain gasket.

I made a 44 gal tank this way from a new Rubbermaid Brute trash can. Has held up holding nasty pool chlorine out in the weather for years.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Nick Hull wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Weld a straight coupling through the tank wall. Weld both sides, it will never leak, unless you allow it to rust out.

Reply to
Anthony