Plotter as plasma cutter

Decades ago I used to work with 'flatbed' plotters before we all switched to drum plotters and then ink jet heads driven upon roll plotters.. Typical plotter sizes were 48 inch x 36 inch. Thereupon was a track mechanism (x and y) driving a single pen. Sadly, I junked several of the above, but could probably find some by calling around.

Do you guys think one of the above would be easily convertible to a plasma cutter? Of course I would only keep the track assembly (lose the board) and mount it to a properly designed cutting table. Would the servos be strong enough to take the weight of a cutting tip? Seems that programming should be pretty easy. Most plotters had simply x and y jog instructions and could plot by coordinates.

All thoughts appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I remember them - even worked on one. I suspect the underparts are not set up for 3000 degree beam or hot metal.

Also the head isn't strong enough (IIRC) for a plasma torch dragging a cable overhead.

Just my guess. Hope you have one to look at and made decisions.

A gantry overhead is needed...

A laser might be easier for thin metals.

Mart> Decades ago I used to work with 'flatbed' plotters before we all

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn