Post Drill?

Threaded View
I just scored an old blacksmith's post drill at a flea market. I was
curious about its age and history. Anybody out there know anything about
  Buffalo Forge products? I Googled and didn't find much onmy drill.

What I have is a Model 61R. It appears to be hand cranked with the
option of handling a belt drive. It curerenly lacks the table, but
everything else is there and works. I am hoping I can find a table on Ebay.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jay Cups

Re: Post Drill?

Without the table, I hope you didn't pay much! :-)

GWE

Re: Post Drill?
I also bought one of the old post drills at a flea market, several
years ago. I don't have any info about your particular drill though.
Goog search term "post drill" with quotes
http://www.beautifuliron.com/thepost.htm
http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/advert/ay249.htm

The designs of various models go back to the 1800s. I wasn't able to
find out any info on my drill, since there are only casting numbers,
but no company name.

They're very nice primitive machines. I was surprised how well they
drill holes in steel. Another surprise was that the spindle runs true.
I turned and threaded a drill chuck adapter/arbor on a lathe and
installed a 1/2" Jacobs chuck, since the spindle just had a 1/2"
straight socket with a set screw for holding drills.
My drill has two speed ranges, with one handle shaft acting as a back
gear drive.

WB
metalworking projects
http://www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Re: Post Drill?

Not too much info available to me but I have a note which says the
first two digits of the serial number will indicate the year of
manufacture.  Example: 57Y-6051 was built in 1957; 73Y-22162 was built
in 1973.  Hope it helps.

dennis
in nca

Re: Post Drill?

Considering the period during which post drills were popular, I would be
more likely to think in terms of 1857 and 1873.  I can't imagine anyone
manufacturing post drills as late as 1973.

Boris.

Re: Post Drill?

Hi Boris.  My note doesn't differentiate by model and appears to cover
all Buffalo Forge products in general (and there were many).

dennis
in nca

Re: Post Drill?

Ive got (2) Buffalo Forge "table top" drill presses, Id like to sell
someone cheaply enough. One has been stripped and partially repainted,
the other has not. Both sport (1) hp electric motors.

I really want these to go to a new and good home.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat.  In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan  2001

Re: Post Drill?

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen mention of one of the nicer features
of some of these old post drills: the fact that as you turned for drilling,
the spindle was indexed downward, providing considerable drilling pressure.
The few times I've used one, I found them to be as fast, or even faster,
than a drill press.  I passed one up last week ($5.00) but didn't buy it
because the table was gone and I couldn't figure out a suitable vertical
surface in my shop on which to mount it.

Boris

Re: Post Drill?
Mine doesn't seem to have come with a serial number. Adding a serial
number to the casting sand must have been a bitch 8^)

I only have 35 bucks invested so far, so even if I never find a table,
it is no biggy. Judging from past sales the table will cost me another
35 or so.

It is a great old primitive machine. Kinda fun just spinning the crank
and watching it index. It came complete with part of the old beam and
some very old lag bolts holding the drill to it that look like they were
smith made many years ago. I'm guessing it is well over 100 years old.
It sure would be nice to get some details.

Thanks for the responses

Jay

Re: Post Drill?

Serial numbers are generally stamped, sometimes in the most unlikley
places.  In all the years I bought and sold machinery I never saw or
heard of a machine which had a cast serial number.  Doesn't mean there
weren't any though.

dennis
in nca

Re: Post Drill?
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 00:27:16 GMT, JayCups

Hi Jay,

Maybe you already found this site, if not take a look here
for some info on Buffalo Forge:

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?ID=129

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids  MI/Zone 5b

I did find that site earlier in my search. It was interesting but there
was no info on my drill.

I was hoping there might be some group of antique tool collectors on the
net that might be able to shed a little light

Jay

Re: Post Drill?
Did you not get my mail, Jay?
I have some cats with Buffalo Drills listed.

Tom

remove spam to mail

--

Re: Post Drill?
No Tom, I didn't get it. Please remove the "X" from my email address and

Thanks,

Jay

Re: Post Drill?

Just model 61, not with an "R".