power factor with RPC vs all single phase

So what is better? Using a well balanced RPC and all 3 phase motors or using single phase motors with no balancing caps. As far as the electric bill goes. With power being metered without the power factor being metered. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Because the majority of power is spend doing mechanical work, I would say that when you are said and done, they will be the same, within five percent.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I suspect the single, 1-phase motor will draw less meterable power from the mains. It may not be kind to the power company, however. If the load motor is lightly loaded, or not running all the time, then the difference gets even bigger, as the phase converter motor will be drawing meterable power all the time.

3-phase motors are often a bit more efficient than 1-phase, but the RPC is bound to spoil that advantage.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I was wondering about that. I was wondering if the more efficient 3 phase motors would still use more power, combined with the RPC, than the equivalent hp in single phase motors. This is because I have to run my shop with a converter and it seems that my electric bills are sometimes pretty low when using lots of 3 phase equipment. But I've never measured it. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow