product endorsement for leaky basements

And if you are not home?????

I have a generator that will pretty well run the whole house. But I won't need to start it to keep my basement dry.

Reply to
clare

I was replying to Larry's comment that he would not buy a house with a sump pump because the power might fail. Buying a generator is an easy fix for power failures. They are not only good for sump pumps , but also for refrigerators , lights and other things.

I certainly would not hesitate to buy a house with a sump pump if that was the only problem with the house.

Dan

==============

Plumbing can fail too.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have a friend in the Houston area that has a generator that will run his whole house. It uses natural gas so no problems with running out of gasoline It will run his whole house air conditioning. It starts up once a week as a check that the battery is good , etc. and of course starts up if the power goes off.

It supplied his house with electricity far a week or ten days a few years back after a hurricane. But I do not think he has a basement or a sump pump.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

In the Northeast basements may have direct access through a "bulkhead":

I grew up in a brick and stone house built in 1830 that had one, possibly original. Hardly anything had been changed in that house since the 1920's. In winter someone had to get up at 3AM to stoke the coal furnace.

An engineer I worked for began his house with only the basement. The toilet was on a home-made elevator that raised it to the ceiling to flush it. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yup, I saw a house while house-hunting years ago that had a battery-backed sump pump. Seemed like a bad sign.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson