Programming a Pentacon 2-axis laser

Hi Everybody

It's been about 2 years since I posted to rec.crafts.metalworking; I'm hoping some people here can help me with my laser problem. My friend bought a second-hand laser and we've been working on electical/mechanical setup for the last two months. We had a lot of fun finding and dealing with the many "undocumented after-market improvements" made by the previous owners, but as of this week we've declared the laser to be ready for production. Now we have to program our part profiles.

There's a software package out there called CIMCAD which would apparently do the job; it's about $2500, which I guess we could swallow but I was wondering if there were people out there who do this that we could farm out the programming to? We'll probably get the software eventually but right now we have one part that we'd like to cut right away. Anybody know someone out there? (I think the essential parameters are that we have an ANCA 32-bit 2-axis machine).

By the way, I should mention that we've been getting great tech support so far from a guy named Perry Loh at Lasermotion, and also Don Porter at Rofin-Sinar. Thanks guys in case you're listening!

Marty Green Winnipeg, Canada

Reply to
Martin Green

Without looking on Google, does your control take standard g-code, or something else? If so, perhaps your part is simple enough to manually program?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

If its just g code programing send me a drawing and tell me the dia. of the laser cut and witch side of the line to cut.Also here are some other cnc links.

?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.machines.cnchttp://www.mmsonline.com/dp/forums/forum_results.cfm?t_id=2431&pub=MMS&f_id=98&m_id=5958#5958http://www.mmsonline.com/dp/forums/index.cfm?pub=MMS

Reply to
TLKALLAM8

(see .sig)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Guys, thanks for the helpful suggestions. Yes, it is basically G-code programming but we're a little short on the documentation...we don't have the instructions on how do do stuff like calling hole subroutines. We've got some sample programs that were apparently computer generated and the holes are drilled in four quarter-turn steps with absolute co-ordinates...surely you don't have to do it that way when you're coding by hand?? Yes, it's quite a simple part we're doing, and we could probably get it programmed ourselves but we really wouldn't mind hooking up with someone familiar with out Pentacon laser who knows how to do the nesting, layout, etc; even leaving those break-off tabs so the part doesnt drop out of the sheet. I'm going away on holidays at the end of next week and I was hoping to leave the guys with something they could start putting into production, even if its not optimised. Bear with me until Monday and I'll try to collect all my info including a part drawing...

Marty Green Winnipeg, Canada snipped-for-privacy@aptitude-testing.com

Reply to
Martin Green

I do not think it matters what computer you have .It just needs to know what path to take do you have a sample program? Any cad program can do that

Reply to
HaroldA102

It depends on the machine. Quite a few of the older ones, at least, had both G02 and G03 (CW and CCW) limited to single quadrants, so to cross a quadrant boundary, you need to generate multiple calls.

However, some systems so restricted may have "canned cycles" which will hide the multiple calls behind a single instruction.

I don't know your machine, so I don't know what it has as its limitations and capabilities, but yes, some do have that limitation.

However, the computer-generated code may be set up to generate the four individual quadrants to simplify programming for *all* machines, and yours may really have the ability to handle multi-quadrant programs. I guess that you will simply have to try it and see what happens (obviously, with an unimportant part.)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks, Don. I think we've solved the problem; Tuesday I got down and started programming the part with nothing but G1, G2, and G3 commands, because that was all I had the examples for. It was a bugger to figure out the i and j coordinates for the centers every time I wanted to do a fillet, but I got them. The next day we got our long-awaited progamming manual and I saw that there were macro commands for fillets and all kinds of things, even French curves through a given set of points.

I think what happened is the sample programs were all computer-generated from CAD drawings and they just used the most basic commands. So following those examples I basically did it the hard way.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Green