Pulley repair

Bearing died on JD mule drive pulley. Pulley is 2 piece stemped metal with bearing sandwiched inbetween, halves riveted together.. Me thinks might be able to machine off enough of flange on one side to press out old;/ press in new. Bet new bearing is equal in price to new pulley/w bearing ($15.50) but anyone have experience with these? ED

Reply to
ED

Easier to knock rivets out, separate halves, re-rivet; replace bearing that way.

At least, that has been successful for me on small stuff.

Flash

Reply to
Flash

I chucked it up on the lathe and faced the boss on one end, just a couple of passes then took it over to the welding bench and ran a bead around the race..a couple of taps and out it fell.. Looks like some JB weld and a new bearing and it will be back in service. 1/5 the price of new..hope it runs true. ED

Reply to
ED