Q on Surplus Tool Place - Altoona-Tyrone, PA

There used to be (25 years ago before I moved) a good surplus tool place on Rt 220 south of Tyrone on the way to Altoona. Is it still there? I may be going out that way and want to stop if it's still
around.
RWL
The Chamber of Commerce, or Better Business Bureau in that area might know. Or you could ring up a couple machine shops or auto parts places, and ask.
I'm in NYS, so I don't get there.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Probably not. Tyrone is a pretty small town. Surplus places like that weren't likely to be members of a Chamber of Commerce and it wasn't in Tyrone proper. It was somewhere along Rt 220 closer to Tyrone than Altoona, but it's the kind of place that the local metal workers would know. It had piles of end mills and drills and you bought things by the pound. I may be in the area in the next couple of months and wanted to stop if it was still there, but the side trip would be a waste if it was long gone.
RWL
Being a small town, the chamber people could ask other folks, and someone is likely to know.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:37:44 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET <GeoLane at PTD dot NET> wrote:

Surplus City! It was still there last year. They sell fasteners of all sorts, sandpaper of every grade down to 2000 grit, files, drill bits by the pound, hand tools, hammer handles, electrical items, lots of odds and ends. I visit the place almost every time I'm up there.
Interstate 99 now runs parallel to "old" 220. I don't recall which exit is closest to Surplus City.
Best -- Terry
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:28:10 -0500, Terry wrote:

If you type Surplus City, Tyrone, pa into google maps, it comes up with one hit, Surplus City 2873 East Pleasant Valley Boulevard, Altoona, PA (814) 742-8900, which might narrow it down.
--
jiw

Excellent. I couldn't remember the name of the place. I'd be coming over from Huntingdon.
Hmmmm. I just found it on the internet. It looks like it was a lot closer to Altoona than I had remembered it. I wonder if they moved to a new building. On top of that, I see that they have a Williamsport outlet - that's only about 40 minutes from me. I'll have to run up. I've lived here 24 years and didn't know they had a "local" store.
Thanks RWL
Terry wrote:

OH! That's right now when we go through the area were on 99 so I had forgotten all about that place. Next summer when we make our "annual pilgrimage" to PA, I'll try to remember to get off and check it out. Thanks to whoever started this about the place. ...Lew...
GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

How about that ? I remember being in that place a long time ago.
Where are you from? I'm from State College and had an Aunt in Hollidaysburg we visited. ...Lew...
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:37:40 -0600, Lewis Hartswick

Check your email. I"m pretty close by.
RWL

Related Threads